Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1661

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

I'm scheduled to receive my first dose on the 31st but I may have to reschedule. I'll be out of state when my second dose is due. I just sent an e-mail to the provider, asking if there's any flexibility in timing.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Graham is in theory supposed to be getting his first shot soon. Since this relies on the military . . . .
    My son is off at Air Force Basic training and is in isolation. As a health 18 year old, he is way down on the priority list. As a member of the military, I hope that jumps him up that list a bit. My wife is a nurse; she was at the front of the line and had hers a month or so ago.

I have my appointment for May 7th. The website was a beast to navigate. I needed my insurance info (if any), a next of kin contact, comorbidity info, two files printed out, etc. I cannot picture my grandmother handling that well. Luckily, there is an 800 number to help with that. As I hear it, that is much, much easier to get through.

I not really concerned with the wait or my personal situation at home or work. It's not like I'm heading out to rock concert, bar or a bounce house any time soon. I have story about a night that involved all three, but that is a story for a different place and time.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My son is off at Air Force Basic training [...]
    My congratulations, commiserations, and thanks to your son! I'm glad he's not there in high summer, like I was.

3701st BMTS, Flight 557, Jun–Aug 1978.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My congratulations, commiserations, and thanks to your son! I'm glad he's not there in high summer, like I was.

3701st BMTS, Flight 557, Jun–Aug 1978.
    This one of those highlights of an otherwise dismal year or so. He calls from boot camp, I can hear a horde of people in the background including a drill sergeant (or whatever they are now) screaming out a 5 minute countdown for phone calls. Calls go like this:

Me: "How are you?"
    My son: "Great! This the best decision I've ever made."
    Me: "What?"
    My son: "This the best decision I've ever made. This place is amazing!"

That's not what I was expecting. Is that normal?
    Solfe

I'm just back from my first dose of vaccine (Pfizer). I was expecting to have to wait longer, but I was able to schedule an appointment, so I took it. I think that the supply here in relatively rural northern Michigan is pretty good compared to the overall population living here, and most of the people in more vulnerable groups that want a vaccine have been able to get it, so they're widening the net. It sounds like some folks downstate are realizing that, and making the trip north to schedule appointments. (Of course that added travel probably isn't great for keeping spread of the virus low...)

I'm still waiting for my cool biogenic mutant powers to kick in. But they weren't entirely clear; maybe I have to wait for the second dose for that.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Yay Team Pfizer!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

[...] a drill sergeant (or whatever they are now)
    It various among services but it's the same role. For the USAF it's Training Instructor or TI for short.

My son: "This the best decision I've ever made. This place is amazing!"

That's not what I was expecting. Is that normal?
    Well, it's not abnormal. It depends very much upon the individual: self confidence, self discipline, stress response/coping, motivation, etc. Also in play are the ups and downs due to the day of the week, the heat index, and whether or not one has chow runner duty.

I think we had the full gamut in our flight: the go-getters, slow-getters, and no-getters; foul-ups, cut-ups, and a crack-up; and those somewhere in the middle. I was one of the latter but leaned heavily toward the go-getter side. We had only two washouts. One had performance/learning difficulties and was "washed back" to a flight behind us to repeat much of the training. The other suffered some kind of mental/emotional breakdown and was discharged.

It sounds like your son has his head in a good space and I'm glad for him and you. Please give him my best.

Okay, I'm done derailing the thread. It's lunch time.

Back on track!

My mother-in-law is a retired nurse. She is calling up every person in the family older than herself (she is 67) and offering to navigate phone systems and websites for vaccine appointments and comparing that to her calendar so she can drive them.

She is a no nonsense person and I clash with that type, but she has a kind heart.
    Solfe

My wife got a Moderna shot at CVS last night, so she and I are both first-timers! Hooray!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Today's my big day!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Today's my big day!
    Good luck, and congratulations!

Anyone else weirded out by the videos of those shots? I swear the local news channel runs the needle insertion in slow motion. I don't know why that bothers me, I give myself a shot every day.
    Solfe

Anyone else weirded out by the videos of those shots? I swear the local news channel runs the needle insertion in slow motion.
    Some vaccinators seem to perform in slow motion, it must be said. And others seem to be quite vague about the correct location for the injection. It's kind of a feature of having so many volunteer vaccinators, unfortunately.

Grant HUtchison

Anyone else weirded out by the videos of those shots? I swear the local news channel runs the needle insertion in slow motion. I don't know why that bothers me, I give myself a shot every day.
    I don't get weirded out but my wife does. She can't watch any needle insertion, either video or in-person; I don't know why. And she too gives herself a shot, though it is every two weeks and you can't see the needle (Humira).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Got it!

My next shot's on Good Friday, appropriately enough.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

One thing I noted during my first shot experience at our local county vaccination center (the county fairgrounds) was that no one checked my ID. It is a well organized, fairly large operation staffed by volunteers and by professionals (including National Guard medics) but I would have thought that at least one person would check my ID to verify I was who I claimed to be. My wife opined "that's the way Central Oregon rolls."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't get weirded out but my wife does. She can't watch any needle insertion, either video or in-person; I don't know why. And she too gives herself a shot, though it is every two weeks and you can't see the needle (Humira).
    I don't like watching people give amateurish injections, and for some reason about 50% of the vaccination stock footage used by the BBC News makes me want to shout "Get on with it!" or "Not there!" at the TV. I'm guessing they recorded a lot of footage during the early days of vaccine roll-out, and not much since.
    I also very much don't like amateurish people injecting things into me. I'm used to vaccinating myself, but the Covid process in the UK doesn't seem to admit such a possibility.

Grant Hutchison

Mrs EV got a message from her doctor saying she could schedule a vaccination She got an appointment for Sunday.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't like watching people give amateurish injections, and for some reason about 50% of the vaccination stock footage used by the BBC News makes me want to shout "Get on with it!" or "Not there!" at the TV. I'm guessing they recorded a lot of footage during the early days of vaccine roll-out, and not much since.
    I also very much don't like amateurish people injecting things into me. I'm used to vaccinating myself, but the Covid process in the UK doesn't seem to admit such a possibility.

Grant Hutchison
    What are the consequences of amateur injection? That it hurts more than it should, or something more serious (like the vaccine not being effective)?
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    What are the consequences of amateur injection? That it hurts more than it should, or something more serious (like the vaccine not being effective)?
    Well, I'm saying "amateurish" because I want to communicate that it's not confidence-inspiring but it gets the job done. The things I'm seeing are mainly pain-related--not pulling the skin tight, advancing the needle very slowly through the skin, and not getting the patient to relax their arm properly. All of these cause a little more pain than strictly necessary.
    The other problem I see is injecting very low in the deltoid. Some patients don't pull their sleeves up far enough, and need to be encouraged; but there's a tendency for a nervous and unassertive vaccinator to just try to sneak the needle in below the edge of the patient's clothing. So then you're injecting into a narrower and more fibrous part of the muscle, rather than into the broad expanse higher up. Pain again.
    If you go extremely low then you get to a bony bit between the insertion of the deltoid and the origins of biceps and brachialis, and that would be a bad place to inject, because you're not going to get the vaccine into a muscle, where it needs to be to have its maximum effect, and you're edging worryingly close to the radial nerve. But I'm not seeing anything like that. I'm just seeing vaccinators edging a little lower than necessary, into territory that makes me want to say, "Now, that's OK, but you wouldn't want to go much lower because ..."
    It's about getting into the habit of routinely aiming for the sweet spot.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    One thing I noted during my first shot experience at our local county vaccination center (the county fairgrounds) was that no one checked my ID. ...
    I can't remember if I had to show ID either time (I'll pay attention when I go with my wife for her second injection later today) but they do give you a record card with your name on it. I guess you could lie and claim to be someone else, but your proof of vaccination would be in that person's name so you could never prove you'd been vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't like watching people give amateurish injections ..
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    What are the consequences of amateur injection? ...
    And I get to tell my story.

As a kid I had allergies, lots of them, and received weekly injections. The nurse at the doctor's office gave them to me. Except one time when, after the doctor finished his exam, she wasn't in the room. So he decided to give it. He put the needle on the syringe, filled the syringe with the medicine, did the little air burp thing, and stuck the needle in my arm. So far so good. Then he pushed the plunger. But he had failed to secure the needle to the syringe so the syringe popped loose. And I sat there with a needle in my arm as the doctor squirted medicine out of the syringe and down my arm.

And that's what happens when an amateur gives an injection.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    One thing I noted during my first shot experience at our local county vaccination center (the county fairgrounds) was that no one checked my ID...
    At the local mass vaccination center, our IDs were checked by a member of the National Guard upon entry. He checked it against a computer, presumably to confirm my appointment.

I attempted to provide my appointment number and proof of eligibility in “group 1C”. He responded in a tone that only a member of the military could muster, with “Just your ID, sir.”

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't get weirded out but my wife does. She can't watch any needle insertion, either video or in-person; I don't know why.
    I'm the same way; I promise not every story on vaccination is more effective if it shows people getting shots. And I don't give myself shots, but it doesn't bother me to see needles in my arm, just other people's.

There's a website that tracks "extra" doses thawed but not assigned and signs people up for those. You have a very narrow window for getting there once you've gotten a notice, obviously, but I live in hope.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    As a kid I had allergies, lots of them, and received weekly injections. The nurse at the doctor's office gave them to me. Except one time when, after the doctor finished his exam, she wasn't in the room. So he decided to give it. He put the needle on the syringe, filled the syringe with the medicine, did the little air burp thing, and stuck the needle in my arm. So far so good. Then he pushed the plunger. But he had failed to secure the needle to the syringe so the syringe popped loose. And I sat there with a needle in my arm as the doctor squirted medicine out of the syringe and down my arm.

And that's what happens when an amateur gives an injection.
    To be fair, that can happen even in the most skilled hands, if there's a quality issue in the moulding of the friction-fit taper between syringe and needle hub. The "Luer lock" (with a threaded collar on the syringe) didn't get into widespread use until a couple of decades ago.
    It's one of the reasons vaccines are generally distributed in prefilled syringes with integral needles. That's not so with the current massive roll-out of Covid vaccines, but in the UK it looks like administration is largely being done with integral syringe/needle combinations. Which makes sense, because the other advantage to that sort of kit is that it has a low dead space, which means less wasted drug. Which is how people have been managing to get six doses out of a nominally five-dose vial.

Grant Hutchison

Our local healthcare org, which I've been very complimentary of, had a mixup in which a few vials with one dose left were mistaken for new ones and diluted over again. They couldn't be sure which people got them so 150 people have to have it redone.
    We get our second dose in a week.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our local healthcare org, which I've been very complimentary of, had a mixup in which a few vials with one dose left were mistaken for new ones and diluted over again. They couldn't be sure which people got them so 150 people have to have it redone.
    We get our second dose in a week.
    Meh. At least they didn’t give empty shots, like these guys.

Talk about amateurs.

https://fox8.com/news/kroger-clinic-...vaccine-shots/

This week a number of California counties are shifting to less restrictive tiers, and next week my county will shift to a less restrictive tier too along with another group of counties. My county has been at purple, which is the most restrictive tier except for stay-at-home, which for some reason wasn’t referred to as a “tier.” Mostly it means that stores and other public buildings can have more people in them and places considered non-essential have some restrictions reduced. I think it also means that restaurants will be able to have people inside again at 25% normal capacity. Restaurants have been really hurting, with the casual places that already had a thriving take-out and delivery business surviving the best.

The change is due to a combination of much improved positivity rates and increasing vaccination. Even LA, which was by far the hardest hit area in the state has dramatically improved.

It really sounds good, except I’m a bit worried about the possibility of a resurgence as variant viruses seem to be spreading faster. I get a real sense of a race between vaccinations and the virus.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I get a real sense of a race between vaccinations and the virus.
    Yes, very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Yay Team Pfizer!
    Yes my wife and I had both shots from Pfizer. I had a lost of taste, maybe my wife had a headache for a day. The first shot caused sore arms, as did the second.

I always look off in the opposite direction when getting a shot. I'd wear a blindfold if offered one.

It's not that I'm cowardly, (yeah, right!) but I'm pretty sure that I'd flinch just before the needle went in and maybe ruin the effort.

At least that's what I tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I always look off in the opposite direction when getting a shot. I'd wear a blindfold if offered one.

It's not that I'm cowardly, (yeah, right!) but I'm pretty sure that I'd flinch just before the needle went in and maybe ruin the effort.

At least that's what I tell them.
    I have no trouble getting a needle, even the big blood donation one, but always turn to face away.