Thread: Mistery HDD

Mistery HDD

Hi all.

I am making backups of all my (very) old hard drives.

I found a drive with a strange I/O..

Does somebody know what kind of connector/drive this is? ( It's the bottom one ).

Thank you in advance.

-- Dennis

foto.jpg
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

I didn’t do a lot with SCSI but it looks like a female SCSI interface. I did a search and you can see a similar socket on this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/SCA-SCSI-Adap.../dp/B001TJ45FW

Is the model number and brand info still legible on the drive? That should let you find all the details with a quick search.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It looks like a Seagate drive. I haven't had any coffee yet, but it looks like a 68-pin SCSI connector. That's like 1999 tech.

Edit - I think I have a mac with a Quantum Fireball drive that has that connector.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ... it looks like a 68-pin SCSI connector.
    Agreed, I believe it is a 68F SCSI socket too.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I just woke up. I have touch screen computer and touched the screen 3 times while counting the pins in the picture. I'm kind of stressed out now and need some coffee.
    Solfe

Looks like a mate to the top one!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Is the model number and brand info still legible on the drive? That should let you find all the details with a quick search.
    Yep. It looks brand new.

Seagate HDD.jpgWeard HDD PCB.jpg

I did some searching, and it's not very helpful, and I cannot remember for the live of me ever having bought this drive. Could it come from an old laptop?

It also has a 2nd I/O connector on its backside?

HDD 2d IO.jpg

If this is some old SCSI drive, is there a way to get the data of it? and backup it onto a modern machine?

Thanks all.

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

I haven't read it in detail, but this might help: https://community.spiceworks.com/top...pter-something

It is quite old, but suggests it is possible in principle. You might have more like finding the necessary hardware on eBay - there is a lot of "vintage" equipment around

ETA: more here: https://superuser.com/questions/1330...csi-hard-drive

p.s. Fairly sure I used to have a PCMCIA (PC-Card) to SCSI adapter in the past. But I'm pretty sure it went in The Great Clearout.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaDust View Post
    Yep. It looks brand new.

Seagate HDD.jpgWeard HDD PCB.jpg

I did some searching, and it's not very helpful, and I cannot remember for the live of me ever having bought this drive. Could it come from an old laptop?

It also has a 2nd I/O connector on its backside?
    So what you do is take the brand and model number and look it up on google or bing. Further, you do a search and follow it with “manual” and then you can read the hardware details yourself.

In this case you would enter this:

seagate "st373455lw" manual

and you will quickly find this:

https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/...100384776d.pdf

Where you can find the technical details on the drive. It’s a 15,000 rpm 3.5 inch 73.3 GB enterprise class SCSI drive. I’d guess it dates to the early to mid 2000s. I’d doubt it came from a laptop because it would be power hungry (15,000 rpm drives are like that) and I’m pretty sure by the time it was built laptops had moved on to smaller drives.

Go to page 43 of the linked manual for the information on the front “connector.” It is called the “J6 option select header.” You would use jumpers to select certain drive options. Page 42 has information on a similar header on the back of the drive. The only IO port is the 68F SCSI socket.

If this is some old SCSI drive, is there a way to get the data of it? and backup it onto a modern machine?
    It’s possible, but there are hardware and software issues. You need a compatible SCSI interface, but also do you know what OS and software you would have been using? Have you consistently used Windows, or have you used Linux or Macs, especially in the early to mid 2000s? Do you have a desktop PC and do you ever install video cards, interface cards or other hardware? Do you happen to have an old desktop PC handy, or would you be willing to buy one? Older PCs are usually pretty inexpensive.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You know, I'm thinking that old external devices have this sort of connector inside, with a couple of connectors out the back. I recall pulling data off an old drive by disassembling an external cd drive, a zip drive and even an 88 mb disc drive (I can't recall the name of that, now). If you have a computer with an equally old CD or disc drive, you might have all the cabling you need to build your own custom external case for this drive to pull data from.
    Solfe