Thread: A Fast Radio Burst Has Been Detected From Inside The Milky Way

A Fast Radio Burst Has Been Detected From Inside The Milky Way

Fast radio bursts last for such a short time that it is difficult to track down the source. Now astronomers have found one in our own back yard.
    The post A Fast Radio Burst Has Been Detected From Inside The Milky Way appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

The graph of the dynamic spectrum of the new Fast Radio Burst has interesting structure to it. The radio emissions seem to be strongest at approximately 40 MegaHertz intervals, across the 400 to 800 MHz range observed with the CHIME radio telescope. No reason has been noted, as far as I am aware, for this distribution of radio energy.

Just wondering really, but I wonder if that is the real distribution or if it is caused by the tuning of the telescope.
    As above, so below

This occurred to me, too, as one possible explanation. The announcement of the discovery refers to structure within the dynamic spectrum graph, as if it were probably real, rather than an artifact. The announcement does not attempt to explain the structure, or even describe it. I sent an inquiry to one of the project astronomers. Am awaiting a reply.