Thread: Tom Cruise to film aboard ISS (seriously)

Tom Cruise to film aboard ISS (seriously)

I didn't know if this should go in SM@L, Space Exploration or ATM...but apparently Cruise plans to film a movie aboard the ISS and it has NASA's blessings.

Tom Cruise will film his next Hollywood blockbuster on location — 250 miles up in the air and orbiting the Earth once every 90 minutes.

The "Top Gun" star will be flying through the stratosphere shooting an as-yet-unknown film aboard the International Space Station (ISS), NASA said Tuesday.

The space agency's director Jim Bridenstine confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he was excited that the move would "inspire a new generation of engineers and scientists" to work on space travel.

Cruise, 56, famously still does his own cliff-hanging, car-rolling stunts.

He got his commercial piloting license after his role in Top Gun as Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a hotshot U.S. Navy pilot who has a dangerous and reckless flying style, and reportedly flew some aircraft in the long-awaited sequel to the 1986 classic due later this year.

But if his latest daring project goes ahead, Cruise will be the first Hollywood A-lister to appear onscreen from outside the planet's atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I didn't know if this should go in SM@L, Space Exploration or ATM...but apparently Cruise plans to film a movie aboard the ISS and it has NASA's blessings.
    It will be expensive because it isn't just the actor at the very least a camera man need to make the trip. A special Space-X launch? Good luck on the negotiations for all with NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    It will be expensive because it isn't just the actor at the very least a camera man need to make the trip. A special Space-X launch? Good luck on the negotiations for all with NASA.
    As I understand it, the ISS has loads of cameras, which probably means everyone on board has some camera experience. It would be more interesting if the astronauts got in on the act.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    As I understand it, the ISS has loads of cameras, which probably means everyone on board has some camera experience. It would be more interesting if the astronauts got in on the act.
    I suspect that directors won't want the camera action to be in the hands of amateurs, giving the ISS filming of IMAX. But you may be right. We shall all see in the fullness of time.

It will be interesting to see if this actually happens, shooting on location in space for a fictional film is something that has been discussed since the space shuttle was in development.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

It couldn't be that bad... (Twitter link to Drew Morgan's feed. Star Wars fighter chase scene filmed on the ISS.)

https://twitter.com/AstroDrewMorgan/...96566106370048
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It will be interesting to see if this actually happens, shooting on location in space for a fictional film is something that has been discussed since the space shuttle was in development.
    Yep, back in the early 80s, I along with some friends were working on a movie script we hoped to eventually have filmed in space. It didn’t work out, and we didn’t have the connections anyway, so was definitely wishful thinking, but was based on the (then reasonable) assumption that Space Shuttle launch costs would come down as NASA had claimed. That didn’t work out either, but it is cool to see it is really starting to happen. Even though I don’t much like Cruise, I would still make a point of watching a movie made in space.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Something something Thetans?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Something something Thetans?
    Well, I admit there would be limits to what I would accept in a movie, though if they had decent ISS scenes, I would still probably catch it on TV when it hit a streaming service.

‘Course it could be like Battlefield Earth, which was unintentionally amusing because the story was just so stupid . . .

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Is a Scientology joke still obligatory in any thread about Cruise or is that too 2005?

Is a Scientology joke still obligatory in any thread about Cruise or is that too 2005?
    I'm sure it's still frowned upon here as it would have been in 2005 anyway... [:eyeroll:]

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

I keep telling Tom the lunar lander was from **Dynetics**

He won’t listen.

Why, exactly, was a Vomit Comet not good enough? It was good enough for Apollo 13.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

NASA selling out to Tom Cruise for a movie is not in the same league as the Russians sticking a Pizza Hut logo on the outside of a Proton launch, or even the Coke-Pepsi "War" on Mir. This is an admission that the ISS is doing so little actual research of value, that it is better to get a huge donation from Cruise & co. to film some idiot movie, because, what, I don't know, NASA can't afford Artemis or something. Is anyone seeing this as well? The ISS was for science & technology research. We're not the Soviets sending up guest cosmonauts for public relations, we're trying to really and truly get somewhere in space. This is a disaster. ISS was ultimately a failure. Are we going to send Honey Boo-Boo to Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Why, exactly, was a Vomit Comet not good enough? It was good enough for Apollo 13.
    For one thing, they would have more than ~30 seconds per shot. For another, they would be making history.

NASA selling out to Tom Cruise for a movie is not in the same league as the Russians sticking a Pizza Hut logo on the outside of a Proton launch, or even the Coke-Pepsi "War" on Mir. This is an admission that the ISS is doing so little actual research of value, that it is better to get a huge donation from Cruise & co. to film some idiot movie, because, what, I don't know, NASA can't afford Artemis or something. Is anyone seeing this as well? The ISS was for science & technology research. We're not the Soviets sending up guest cosmonauts for public relations, we're trying to really and truly get somewhere in space. This is a disaster. ISS was ultimately a failure. Are we going to send Honey Boo-Boo to Mars?
    I have an almost completely different view on this. NASA is trying to promote commercial space access, and has standardized rules for paying guests on the ISS (keep in mind there have already been such on the ISS). I see this as a very good thing for the goal of expanding our future in space.

Most of the cost for Cruise and others would be in the launch, so likely $50 million or more if SpaceX using a Falcon 9/crew Dragon. This cost is so high I doubt there will be many doing it (at least, not until/unless Starship is built) so probably won’t have much effect on ISS operation. On the other hand, a popular movie could give NASA some great publicity and might help keep ISS alive after 2024.

The government alone isn’t going to give us low cost and widely available access to space. But allowing access to the ISS could help, so I very much want to see it happen more.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I have an almost completely different view on this. NASA is trying to promote commercial space access, and has standardized rules for paying guests on the ISS (keep in mind there have already been such on the ISS). I see this as a very good thing for the goal of expanding our future in space.

Most of the cost for Cruise and others would be in the launch, so likely $50 million or more if SpaceX using a Falcon 9/crew Dragon. This cost is so high I doubt there will be many doing it (at least, not until/unless Starship is built) so probably won’t have much effect on ISS operation. On the other hand, a popular movie could give NASA some great publicity and might help keep ISS alive after 2024.

The government alone isn’t going to give us low cost and widely available access to space. But allowing access to the ISS could help, so I very much want to see it happen more.
    I believe the ultimate loser would be the actual research value of the ISS. Filming a movie requires retakes, possibility actors and crew will become ill, definite loss of research time from interference from movie requirements, interference in necessary crew operations and station maintenance, and conflicts between movie studio (and Cruise) and NASA leading to bad choices on NASA's part. There were rumors that the political pressure to get Christa McAuliffe into space contributed to the disastrous Challenger launch, and pressure from the Soviet government led to extremely risky launches such as the old Voskhod series. Pressure from a movie studio is not much different if they are paying the bill. Movies follow a schedule, and conflicts between getting the movie shot and normal space-station operations cannot possibly be good. And what if Tom Cruise's movie turns out to be a bomb on the level of The Mummy? What if NASA becomes a laughingstock? What if someone dies?

If a space station is sent up that can be used for commercial/entertainment operations, like hotels, movies, sending Honey Boo-Boo's mother to Mars, etc., great, go for it. Have some zero-gee scandals.

Sending a Congressman or John Glenn aboard a Space Shuttle, that was okay but even that interfered with normal space operations, and the Shuttle astronauts resented it. How are NASA's astronauts going to deal with Tom Cruise and movie crew in their face all the time? Anyone poll them on this decision? Will the regular crew have to be decreased to allow the extra civilian astronauts?

I've got a bad feeling about this. A really bad feeling.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-May-10 at 07:27 PM.

Just a guess but I’d be surprised if the production “crew” will be on station for more than a week or two. And of course whoever goes up has to pass physicals, undergo training, etc.

My other observation is that the film must require a LOT of free fall action. Otherwise the cost just doesn’t seem worth it; unless this is being done for just pure promotion.

We're not the Soviets sending up guest cosmonauts for public relations, we're trying to really and truly get somewhere in space
    Uh, bro, ethnocentric much? The US absolutely flew non-US astronauts from friendly countries in the shuttle era. And I just don’t think it’s correct to assume that either of the top two historic nations in space exploration isn’t “serious about it”.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2020-May-10 at 11:39 PM.

Uh, bro, ethnocentric much? The US absolutely flew non-US astronauts from friendly countries in the shuttle era. And I just don’t think it’s correct to assume that either of the top two historic nations in space exploration isn’t “serious about it”.
    Astronauts from any nation on the Space Shuttle did real work, unlike the "guest" cosmonauts on the Soyuzes, who the joke went got their hands slapped if they reached for something. Call me what you like, I ain't got no apologies for this.

Let's go back to Tom Cruise.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-May-11 at 01:19 AM.

For these novelty movies I always ask myself, "Is there any reason to see this apart from the novelty item?" Maybe there will be a great screenplay that'll make this worth actually watching, but I suspect this is more of jolly for Cruise than a serious movie-making endeavour. (Time was, I could have got a pun out that.)

Grant Hutchison

He might only be allowed in the inflatable section, or the cupola, or the Russian sections.
    Any fight scenes would involve wire work in Brick Price’s set up—I think he has a nice ISS set

I have no interest in seeing a Tom Cruise film no matter the gimmick. I did consider watching the one where he gets smacked around in a time loop.

ADDED: Well, he was good in Rain Man, I have to give the man his props.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I have no interest in seeing a Tom Cruise film no matter the gimmick. I did consider watching the one where he gets smacked around in a time loop.

ADDED: Well, he was good in Rain Man, I have to give the man his props.
    FWIW I enjoyed the heck out of that the film.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    FWIW I enjoyed the heck out of that the film.
    He's always more convincing as an unlikeable character than a charming character, I reckon. He was well cast in Magnolia.

Grant Hutchison

I don't think he's really acting when he plays an unlikeable character.

Maybe Cruise's character will get spaced and he'll decide to do his own stunts.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'm trying very hard not to make any of the comments I normally do about Tom Cruise, but a lot of people I know who deal with the industry are pretty well convinced that his determination to do his own stunts is going to get him killed one of these days, which is going to cost a fortune and harm the livelihoods of quite a lot of people. Also, I forget who it was who made a snarky comment about people who "always do their own stunts" who in fact have stuntmen, but I believe the evidence indicated that he was referring to Tom Cruise, who does too many of them but not all of them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    … [A] lot of people I know who deal with the industry are pretty well convinced that his determination to do his own stunts is going to get him killed one of these days, which is going to cost a fortune and harm the livelihoods of quite a lot of people.
    Which is where I see any ISS space shenanigans going. Thank you.