Thread: What to name the House in Peters Creek?

What to name the House in Peters Creek?

We moved into our house in 2004 and althought I've thought about many times since, we've never come up with a name for our place. So, I sometimes refer to it simply as the "House in Peters Creek." As I think about it now, the first name the comes to mind is "Cherry Tree Corner" but Gillianren shamelessly appropriated the name before it ever occurred to me. Never mind that we have no cherry trees, nor even a street corner. It's a nice name. Now its gone. Obviously, I need help and this is where you come in. We've got a lot of creative folks here so hit me with your suggestions. Some of you have known me here for many years. Others, maybe not so much. To give you grist for the mill, I'll review a few things I've shared and a few things that might be new.

Locale: As mentioned, we're in Peters Creek, Alaska, a small, unincorporated community within the Municipality of Anchorage. We live on the 'mountain side' of the highway, in the shadow of Mt. Eklutna's broad, northwest face locally known as Bear Mountain or Bear Point. Chugach State Park's boundary is just a few hundred feet away and the sun sets over Cook Inlet's Knik Arm, which is a couple of miles distant. We have a 'squinty-eyed' view of the Knik Arm in the winter, looking through bare trees which obsure the view completely in summer.

Flora and Fauna: Our little piece of the mountain is where rocks come to spawn and die. We're also surrounded by trees such as alder, black cottonwood, birch, a few mountain ash, a couple of small (Christmas-type) fir trees of some sort, and a sad little lodgepole pine barely 6-7 feet tall. Devil's club dominates the low growth, with ferns and horsetails at the margins, along with clumps of red elderberry. Forget-me-nots (our state flower) grow here and there and raspberry bushes have crept in over the last year or two, much to The Wife's delight. We rarely get moose on our lot. We see a black bear or two (or evidence thereof) come across the property once or twice a year. A snowshoe hare lives under our shed out back and red squirrels are always about. Birds include yellow and yellow-rumped warblers, black capped chickadees, common redpolls, varied and hermit thrushes, dark-eyed juncos, pine siskins, Steller's Jays, and more.

Interests: More than anything else, I'm a weekend woodworker. I also like 3D modeling (for woodworking); cigars; wine, beer, and spirits; cooking, grilling, and smoking; tinkering with computers from time to time; and fly fishing and fly tying. The Wife is a hairdresser which is her creative and social outlet. She's not a hobbyist but she does like to cook and she's a fan of reality TV. We both like to travel, if not frequently.

If you think I left anything out, just ask. I look forward to your suggestions.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2020-May-13 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Fixed "Locale" link
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Creeky Pete's

"Bear with me"? "Devil's Den"?

I'd say "Bear Point Refuge" just for being (overly, potentially) evocative.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Mountain Side Lodge
    Snowshoe Lair
    Red Squirrel Nest
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

"The House".

Seriously, I'm not known for my imagination, except when dreaming.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Oh, my, that's some lovely description.

Well, as you may know, Simon would suggest "Housey." I assume you're no more interested in that one that I was.

Bear Copse
    Hare's Lookout
    The Vista

Maybe more'll come to me. Part of our process was Simon's genuine excitement over the tree--he loves cherries, though as established in the other thread I do not--and the really spectacular view we have because of the lot's placement. We're not quite at the top of a hill, but we're upslope of the people across the street. My only disappointment is that I don't think we can see Mount Rainier from here.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The Shed Out Back

Tongass Wonderland.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Someone has to say Housey Mc House Face but I will suggest woodpecker lodge.
    I have to either go or send someone to Anchorage soon, but no flights yet either way!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, my, that's some lovely description.
    Thank you. I sincerely take that as high praise.

We're not quite at the top of a hill, but we're upslope of the people across the street. My only disappointment is that I don't think we can see Mount Rainier from here.
    We're on just a tad over one acre, which is nice space-wise but it's the elevation changes in the terrain that really enhance the sensation of 'elbow room.' Our neighbors up the mountain are about 60 feet higher than we are and we can't see them at all for the trees and steep hillside. Our deck overhangs a steep drop to the two down-mountain houses, which are about 40 feet lower, putting their rooftops below eye level. Combine that with the abundant trees and in summer its almost like we're alone in the woods. A coworker visiting from Seattle said it made her feel like she was in a tree house. We're still leafing out but we already feeling more secluded:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1,014.3 KB 
ID:	25219

We have a disappointment similar to yours. On a clear day in our area, one can see Denali on the horizon, about 125 miles away, along with its companion Mt. Foraker. At home, of course, we are not "one."
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Someone has to say Housey Mc House Face but I will suggest woodpecker lodge.
    Nice...and triply appropriate. Besides the direct connection to my hobby, "Woodpecker" is also the name of a premium tool maker, and a couple of the bird species are common around the house. More than once, I've had to scold one about drumming on my siding.

I have to either go or send someone to Anchorage soon, but no flights yet either way!
    If it turns out to be you, by all means contact me. If I'm not teleworking at that time, my office is a 2-minute walk from baggage claim.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Nice...and triply appropriate. Besides the direct connection to my hobby, "Woodpecker" is also the name of a premium tool maker, and a couple of the bird species are common around the house. More than once, I've had to scold one about drumming on my siding.

If it turns out to be you, by all means contact me. If I'm not teleworking at that time, my office is a 2-minute walk from baggage claim.
    Great, thanks, I might send an installer but at some time I have to visit, who knows when that can be?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I am another one not over-endowed with imagination when it comes to names for hoses but I would suggest something like :-

Deepwood Retreat

PC Cabin?
    or
    PC Cabin(net) Maker?

Housy McHouseFace