Thread: TV Shortages

TV Shortages

It seems wherever I check most of the stock is sold out. Is this because of covid 19, or something else? Where do you think I'd have luck finding any besides eBay?

News to me, but I did a quick web search and found this:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ele...y-LCD-shortage

It appears there is an LCD display shortage due to, yes, reduced production because of the virus and that is affecting TV availability.

I would guess if you wait a bit, production should be ramping up. Meantime, prices might be a bit higher and it might take a bit more work finding the model you want.

Also, are you looking for a quality smaller screen?

A long time ago, I bought a 48” LCD tv for my bedroom, about the largest that would fit. At the time it was a very good quality TV, but has long been left in the dust. The problem is that most of the money is made in larger screens now so typically you can only find budget TVs below 55” or so. I generally didn’t care until the extended color range oled screens came along. 4K resolution isn’t that big a deal on a smaller screen, but brightness/color range is.

LG finally is getting a 48” oled TV out in June, and I am considering replacing my very old bedroom TV, but I’m not in a huge rush . . . since my current TV is old, but functional. Wouldn’t be surprised if there would be a supply shortage there.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Most if not all TVs are imported from China and there could be trade restrictions because of Virus and could be restrictions in China about how many people in a certain area so it could because of the outbreak.
    I have been wondering if things aren't back to normal by the fall how that will effect production of new shows,
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

There's a lot of talk about that in Hollywood, naturally. Christopher Nolan is apparently planning to go ahead with the planned release date of his new movie--and it does appear to be Christopher Nolan, not the studio, insisting, from what I've read--no matter what. Most people I know who know about it disapprove of this.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well did a quick check thru best buy Canada, and there are tvs avaible there. I actually got a 32 inch led right before christmas so not looking tvs but was there because of day dreaming about building a podcasting/vidcasting rig.

There's a shortage of turkey vultures? I didn't think things had gotten that bad.....

Oh, you mean television sets.

Considering I buy one maybe once a decade or so, I can't say I've noticed.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    There's a shortage of turkey vultures?
    Not in South Carolina, come and borrow some of ours.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

There's certainly a lack of TV content, especially on the sports channels!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

You suppose TCL's 2020 model tvs will be pricier?

I wish someone still made tube televisions

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Why on earth would you wish that?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was wondering that too. My last CRT "TV" was a 30 or 31" (can't remember which) monster monitor I used with a home theater computer setup. Incredibly heavy, fairly expensive, and didn't begin to match the LCD TV that eventually replaced it.

The one thing that I might like to see would be a small number of CRTs made to replace ones in old arcade game units. The visual experience isn't quite the same with flat screen monitors, and once the existing CRTs die out that's it for authentic original arcade game play. Mind you, I don't play the old machines often, but it will feel like a loss when they can no longer be repaired properly.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Just moved one these things out of my room last year, heavy and awkward, the auction company that I work for once and while doesn't even take them any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There is something to be said for an impulse display (CRT) vs a sample-&-hold display (LCD) when it comes to motion.
    That said, significant strides have been made in improving the handling of motion.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

And you could use light pens on the old things...last longer too