Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Crew Dragon Demo-2

Just wondering why the ISS crew changed clothes into jumpsuits! They weren't earlier.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Welcoming ceremony. i'm tearing up a little.

I don't think they have enough cameras!

Finally! They’re in! Drank my toast (blech).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I don't think they have enough cameras!
    Right, they should have had at least another couple dozen.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Lots of social not-so-distancing going on in Houston. Wrapping up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That may be part of it too, but I’m not assuming it. There was a pretty positive statement by a Russian official about this mission but who knows what might be beyond that, and then there is the US side. I noticed Musk did make a trampoline joke, which was deserved, in my opinion.
    And knowing the average Russian, they can appreciate that returnjoke.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Just wondering why the ISS crew changed clothes into jumpsuits! They weren't earlier.
    "Oh no, we have visitors! Quick, pretend to be busy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    I wouldn't bet against there being an Enterprise somewhere down the line.
    If they use up all the cool names and acronyms for simple capsules and robotic craft—we won’t have any names for anti-gravity/FTL craft besides “Fred” (as if that were the worst problem.)

Crew Dragon Demo-2

I’m pretty sure Doug Hurley hit his head on the hatchway while entering the station. While watching live, I saw that he kept touching it. I thought he may have been sweating as one of the other astronauts appeared to get something (maybe a tissue?) for him.

On the evening news replay, it looked like he bonked head and immediately rubbed it. I hope he didn’t get a cut. Just think of all the forms he’d have to fill out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    If they use up all the cool names and acronyms for simple capsules and robotic craft—we won’t have any names for anti-gravity/FTL craft besides “Fred” (as if that were the worst problem.)
    Like how used up all of the cool mythological names on asteroids before we knew how many there were and now we have to name the new ones things like “Lamborghini”.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Tsk we already know the solution to that is just to append letters of the alphabet to the end of the name.

Given that SpaceX named their drone ships "Just Read the Instructions", "Of Course I Still Love You", and "A Shortfall of Gravitas", and Musk named his child "X Æ A-Xii", maybe we should be happy with Endeavor
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If they stay in style, the first Starship to go into space should be called "'I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.'"

I like the drone ship names, since they are references to science fiction spacecraft names. You would never see an Old Space company do something like that. I’d never saddle a kid with a bizarre name like that, though.

Incidentally, I’ve always wanted to see some real spacecraft named after science fiction authors, especially ones that have written about interplanetary space travel. Maybe if SpaceX really does mass produce the Starship, we’ll get to see that.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I like the drone ship names, since they are references to science fiction spacecraft names. You would never see an Old Space company do something like that.
    Hmmm, well there was this test Space Shuttle I can remember...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I like the drone ship names, since they are references to science fiction spacecraft names. You would never see an Old Space company do something like that. I’d never saddle a kid with a bizarre name like that, though.

Incidentally, I’ve always wanted to see some real spacecraft named after science fiction authors, especially ones that have written about interplanetary space travel. Maybe if SpaceX really does mass produce the Starship, we’ll get to see that.
    I do like the drone ship names, I was just counter-pointing to people who seem to be complaining about Endeavor. And yes, I'd like to see some more imaginative spacecraft names. Love to see spaceship Asimov docking at space station Clarke, or launching planetary probe LeGuin.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I’ll settle for “Salvage II” or “Lucky Lady LXII”

Sounds like DM-2 will return in August.

AIUI the Crew Dragon USCV-1/Crew-1 operational mission goes up shortly after with a crew of 4; 3 NASA, 1 JAXA (Japan).

With Starliners OFT-2 flying later this year Boeing's first crew mission (CFT) isn't likely until Q1/Q,2 next year.

https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/s...47214021115906
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Jun-10 at 09:33 PM.

20. 2020-Jun-14, 06:44 AM
    Reason
    Double post

I was reading an interesting pair of articles over at Americaspace, on the nature of the rides atop various rockets (Huffing and chugging). Over at thespacereview.com a book review may be of interest (after LM).
    Double post...sorry
    I am very impressed with SpaceX and their commitment to photography. I hope they have some camera pods for the next capsule launch—I just watched the fairing separation video that showed the only detailed side view of a second stage in action at close range.

Double post...sorry
    I am very impressed with SpaceX and their commitment to photography. I hope they have some camera pods for the next capsule launch—I just watched the fairing separation video that showed the only detailed side view of a second stage in action at close range.
    Do you mean the Starlink launch?

-- Dennis

Yes—I wanted a similar view of the Dragon capsule—no fairing for the camera to be mounted in...this the pod suggestion.

Yes—I wanted a similar view of the Dragon capsule—no fairing for the camera to be mounted in...this the pod suggestion.
    That was great video. Scott Manley posted a great video of it! It details the fairings mainly.

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander