Thread: Two new super-eruptions from Yellowstone hotspot found

Two new super-eruptions from Yellowstone hotspot found

Discovery of ancient super-eruptions indicates the Yellowstone hotspot may be waning

two previously unknown super-eruptions at about 9.0 and 8.7 million years ago
    "The younger of the two, the Grey's Landing super-eruption, is now the largest recorded event of the entire Snake-River-Yellowstone volcanic province," says Knott. Based on the most recent collations of super-eruption sizes, he adds, "It is one of the top five eruptions of all time."
    Also, the hotspot used to go off every 500,000 years or so, but now it's up to once every 1.5 million years.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    Also, the hotspot used to go off every 500,000 years or so, but now it's up to once every 1.5 million years.
    I've seen current estimates at closer to 600,000 to 800,000 years, with the most recent three eruptions at 0.6 mya, 1.3 mya, and 2.1 mya. But I know that middle one was somewhat smaller than the other two (although still extremely large as volcanic eruptions go). Maybe it's just disagreement over how big something has to be to count as a "supervolcano".
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I thought this area was near the end of its activity. Perhaps one last gasp.