Thread: Electrical Engineering Student, want to learn more about Astrophysics/Astronomy

Electrical Engineering Student, want to learn more about Astrophysics/Astronomy

Hi guys,

None of my friends study Astrophysics/Astronomy so I did not really know who to ask, and I figured I could try my luck here (duh)

Anyways, I am a first year Engineering/CS student, and I would love to get in to the astrophysics/astronomy world.

I know that this is quite a large topic, so it would be great if you could give me some information about the branches of astronomy and some good books about them.

I would love to study/explore on my own while I am on my Bachelor program so maybe I could try to pursue my passion on my Masters degree.

Also, I would like to know if I could actually pursue the Master degree in Astronomy with my background mostly consisting of programming, math and linear algebra.

You're at a college. Maybe go to the library and open an intro to astronomy book.
    There are so many aspects of the science, it is hard to suggest where to begin unless we know what aspect of it interests you.
    Also, maybe binge-watching a bunch of recent episodes of "How The Universe Works" will let you figure out what part of this excites you most. Is is Exoplanets? Supernovas? Black Holes? The Big Bang? Galaxies? Something else.
    Let us know please.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Welcome to CQ kamilica. It's certainly an exciting time to be an astronomer, whether it's in the studies of cosmology, planetary science, or astrophysics. And with even more robust telescopes and equipment coming online in the coming years, it's only going to get better.

For your last question you might look at the American Astronomical Society's web page which has a set of recommendations for various levels of study.

https://aas.org/learn/planning-your-education

Wikipedia isn't a bad start to learning about the various branches of Astronomy, and with pointers to the history of Astronomy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlin...s_of_astronomy

Quote Originally Posted by kamilica View Post
    Also, I would like to know if I could actually pursue the Master degree in Astronomy with my background mostly consisting of programming, math and linear algebra.
    All those skills will be very handy for a master's degree in astronomy, so study hard! In most cases, it will also be useful -- and perhaps even necessary -- to take some physics courses. If you can enroll in a typical first-year physics sequence, and then one or two additional physics courses (modern physics, or classical mechanics, or E&M), your chances will increase.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress and any additional questions.

Thank you for your kind and informative answer,
    I am not really sure myself, I am just fascinated by the whole scientific approach to the universe and I would like to pursue that in my next academic steps (I figured out that in 2 years that I have time until the start of my Masters program, I could learn quite a lot by myself)
    I will try to get some all-around books so I can see the aspects that I could focus on. (I saw that there is a good Neil DeGrasse Book that is quite easy to understand so I might give that a try)
    Thank you very much

Thank you very much!
    I am studying in Europe, do the Universities in USA give scholarships for the Masters degree?
    Best of luck!

I had a first-year physics class at my University, and I had taken part in national physics competitions before (High school), it is just that I wont have any more physics classes for the next 2 years (since I am on a Computer Science program), mostly discrete mathematics,databases and all that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kamilica View Post
    Thank you very much!
    I am studying in Europe, do the Universities in USA give scholarships for the Masters degree?
    Best of luck!
    It varies a lot. Most commonly in the US, graduate students in the sciences or engineering, either working on a Masters or a Doctorate, work under an assistantship, usually as a teaching assistant. So you help teach labs or grade papers, in exchange your tuition is paid for and you get a stipend (a salary that covers your living expenses). Sometimes you can get a research assistantship, where your "work" is not teaching, but is doing your research. There are also scholarships and fellowships, but they are harder to get and vary from school-to-school and even department-to-department.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Is there an astronomy course being taught at your school maybe take an intro course. There are several podcasts like astronomy cast and 365 days of astronomy, I have done a few reviews of older astronomy books which is all I have at the moment, my opinions on some alternate theories of the universe and a few scientific papers, just click the link below. There might be amateur organizations in you are that could introduce by looking thru telescopes and such. There is some video series called Crash Course astronomy by some Phil Plait guy. Good luck in whatever your endeavours.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Oh Kamilica welcome to the boards, and there are few errors in my essays.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Well, I have done exactly as antoniseb said. While learning in college, I was always in the library trying to find out something new about astronomy and astrophysics. Honestly, these two domains are really amazing and I do consider that they are actually limitless.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessalk View Post
    Well, I have done exactly as antoniseb said. While learning in college, I was always in the library trying to find out something new about astronomy and astrophysics. Honestly, these two domains are really amazing and I do consider that they are actually limitless.
    Welcome back. Did you find an aspect of Astronomy and Astrophysics that excites you most?
    Forming opinions as we speak