Thread: Cleared to taxi: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Cleared to taxi: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Just heard today that Microsoft has announce the release date for its much-anticipated Flight Simulator 2020 (official site) is August 18th. Woot! Time to dust off the flight controls.

According to the published specs, my system exceeds the minimum requirements but my guess is that I'll be contemplating a system upgrade in the foreseeable future.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It would be great if they come out with an iOS version, but somehow I guess that's not in the cards.
    As above, so below

Requires version 1909 of Windows 10. I guess the "1909" does not refer to the year.

Would be interesting to try the 737 Max simulation, if they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    Requires version 1909 of Windows 10. I guess the "1909" does not refer to the year.

Would be interesting to try the 737 Max simulation, if they have one.
    Nope, there’s no 737 of any variant in any version of FS2020. I’d look for it in a later expansion or from a 3rd party developer.

I got my copy last night and installed it...after the longest download since I was on a 14.4K dial up! Maybe longer. For a few minutes tonight and an hour or so today, I was able to poke around and fly using a simple 3-axis joystick. I’ll wring out my sim pit controls later, maybe this weekend.

The good news is, my system runs it with “higher end” graphics and the scenery and models are gorgeous. Not so good are the load times. Pretty sluggish but understandable given the scenery is based on Bing map data pulled from the ‘net. I set up a 100 GB scenery cache on the SSD, which helped a bit but it’s still not a matter of cranking it up and hopping in the cockpit. Patience cloud hopper.

Also mildly disappointing is that Anchorage is not one of the “handcrafted” areas, so the scenery is auto generated, which I knew ahead of time to be the case. Still, setting aside the fact that I know the area so well, the AI does an excellent job of putting buildings where they appear on Bing maps, even if the don’t resemble the actual buildings themselves...my house included. I hope it doesn’t take MS or a 3rd party developer too long to offer and Anchorage expansion.

Speaking of expansions, a marketplace is built into the sim, which should make additions more convenient. Other developers will still be able to offer expansions through their respective sites, as well. Besides PANC, I’ll also be looking for additional aircraft like the Otter, Twin Otter, and the C180 on floats or tundra tires in the coming weeks/months.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Screen shot: Sunrise flyover of the Homer Spit in a C172:

MS Flight Simulator 2020
C172 over the Homer Spit

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I’ll wring out my sim pit controls later, maybe this weekend.
    Well, it took more than a weekend. The basic flight controls worked but my panels weren't recognized. I wound up purchasing a third party program (SPAD.neXt) to configure and connect the panels through SimConnect. I still have a couple-few things to map out but panels light up and work now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	841.5 KB 
ID:	25498

It needs to be in an old wooden clubhouse or fort to get the proper feel.
    When I was younger, I would have loved non-functioning versions of that set up.

Actually, this is a tiny bit off-topic, but I have a question in general about flight simulators, and I figure that because everyone reading this is probably interested, I'll get some help. I have this problem, that I cannot manage to land a plane correctly, and I kind of know what I'm doing wrong but don't know how to correct it. I usually use X Plane on my iPad. Now, I line up for a runway using the map, and then fly in, but I always seem to end up either too high or too low (I don't know how to measure the distance on the map to figure out where I am). Suddenly the runway appears right under me, and when I do manage to "land" it's a fairly loose description because it's more like a crash, hopping several times and then sometimes veering off the runway. Thank god I'm not a real pilot... Maybe in general I'm trying to land at too steep an angle, and just need to come in at a low angle? But then I have a hard time seeing the runway in the distance.
    As above, so below

Oh, and I should have mentioned I mean a visual approach here. I've also tried using ILS, and kind of understand how it works but I can't generally see the dials well enough (I have an iPad mini) to be able to gauge there the dials are...
    As above, so below