Thread: International Lunar Research Station (ILRS)

International Lunar Research Station (ILRS)

China is seeking international partners to develop the International Lunar Research Station (ILRS).

https://spacenews.com/china-is-aimin...earch-station/

China has developed a vision for an international lunar research station and is seeking international involvement in the project.

The project, named the International Lunar Research Station (ILRS), is to be situated in the lunar south pole region. It will be developed through a number of upcoming robotic Chang’e missions across the 2020s and expanded through the 2030s.

The ILRS envisions the Chang’e-,6, -7 and -8 missions and potential international missions as forming the basic setup. In the early 2030s an expanded ILRS will involve long-term robotic and potentially short-term crewed missions. A long-term human presence at the lunar south pole is the goal for 2036-2045.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Strange that they haven't been in discussions with NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    There is no way the US government would sign off on the sort of technology transfer involved in such a program.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    The strained relations right now between China and the US make it not so strange.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The strained relations right now between China and the US make it not so strange.
    When it comes to space, it isn’t just about right now. Garrison is right, there is a history of persistent Chinese aerospace espionage and unintended technology transfer. Of course, not just them, but there are regulations that NASA and American companies have to follow, with some specific limits in regards to China. Conditions may thaw but I suspect this will be an ongoing concern.

We don’t discuss it much here because it can get into more general political issues, but it’s easy to find more with a web search if you’re interested.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So, it's doubly Not Strange that they didn't contact NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    So, it's doubly Not Strange that they didn't contact NASA.
    The presentation was to the UN Scientific and Technical Subcommittee of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS). The invitation to join the project was to all UN members. So technically the US was invited to join the project.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    The presentation was to the UN Scientific and Technical Subcommittee of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS). The invitation to join the project was to all UN members. So technically the US was invited to join the project.
    Yes but in practice its meaningless because no US agency will risk violating ITAR. Also given the relationship between JAXA, ESA and NASA I doubt whether any of them or their contractors are going to risk antagonizing US authorities. China's best chance is the likes of the UAE that are trying to expand their space program.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Yes but in practice its meaningless because no US agency will risk violating ITAR. Also given the relationship between JAXA, ESA and NASA I doubt whether any of them or their contractors are going to risk antagonizing US authorities. China's best chance is the likes of the UAE that are trying to expand their space program.
    ESA and Russia have already indicated they are interested. They had participated in Chang'e-4 and will be joining in the next few missions.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

DoD money was never as limited as NASA’s. I see this as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    DoD money was never as limited as NASA’s. I see this as a good thing.
    As spurring another Space Race?

Not a new race, just new priorities. Space just needs a Billy Mitchell. The recent war games where carriers do badly, the F-16 pilot that lost to a drone in a dogfight sim—things will have to change in general.
    It is nice for the military to aid exploration, as opposed to competing for its funding.