Thread: 60 years ago - 1st time living organisms from earth went to space & returned safely.

60 years ago - 1st time living organisms from earth went to space & returned safely.

"Soviet Space Dogs: Flight Sixty Years Ago Paved Way for Yuri Gagarin"

https://www.leonarddavid.com/soviet-...-yuri-gagarin/

Sixty years ago today, on August 19, 1960 ó Korabl-Sputnik 2 ó a prototype of the Vostok piloted spacecraft, was launched into Earth orbit, with the dogs Belka and Strelka on board. This was the first orbital flight of living beings with a successful return to Earth.

Also onboard were mice, insects, plants, fungal crops, seeds, microbes and other biological objects. This was the first orbital flight of living beings with a successful return to Earth.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Less than ten years from space dogs to man on the moon. What a time to be alive.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Less than ten years from space dogs to man on the moon. What a time to be alive.
    Well not exactly 10 years. Remember Laika? Shewas launched in November 1957 and died while in orbit (with no plans to retrieve her or her capsule). And typical for the era the USSR covered up her cause of death from an overheating capsule and claimed she was euthanized.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well not exactly 10 years. Remember Laika? Shewas launched in November 1957 and died while in orbit (with no plans to retrieve her or her capsule). And typical for the era the USSR covered up her cause of death from an overheating capsule and claimed she was euthanized.
    I wonder why the Laika mission wasn't supposed to be recovered, since they had already accomplished a recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I wonder why the Laika mission wasn't supposed to be recovered, since they had already accomplished a recovery.
    Laikaís mission was on Sputnik 2 which was only the second orbital flight to that point and deorbit and re-entry technology hadnít been fully developed. Other animal test flights were sub orbitals. (To be clear, Iím summarizing the Wikipedia article. )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika?wprov=sfti1

I’m actually a bit surprised they managed to safely recover the animals from a Vostok prototype. In the manned Vostok missions, the capsule didn’t have parachutes for a soft landing. It hit the ground hard. Rather, the cosmonaut manually ejected at high altitude and parachuted down. Presumably they set up an automated ejection system for the animals.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser