Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USA’s Artemis Accords

Another article on the Artemis Accords by The Space Review.

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4054/1

It was a signing ceremony for the Zoom era. On the screens of attendees of the virtual International Astronautical Congress October 13, as well as anyone who tuned in to NASA TV, was a three-by-three array of screens, a fancy version of video chats that have become commonplace. In each window, a government official put pen to paper; some matter-of-factly, others proudly showing off the document they signed.

One interesting question I think is why some of the Western European countries, notably France and Germany, have not joined. I presume that it's just a matter of timing, but also wonder if the historical rivalry between the US and Western Europe could have some connection.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    One interesting question I think is why some of the Western European countries, notably France and Germany, have not joined. I presume that it's just a matter of timing, but also wonder if the historical rivalry between the US and Western Europe could have some connection.
    Actually, answering my own question, this article implies that there may be opposition from inside the EU. But it just implies the possibility.

https://theconversation.com/artemis-...reement-148134
    As above, so below

One possible issue is that France signed the Moon treaty. That was far more restrictive than the Outer Space treaty and I have read it could disallow acceptance of the Artemis Accords. This could also affect the ESA.

Personal note: I was a member of the (now defunct) L5 Society when it was looking like the US might sign the Moon treaty and we had an organized effort to lobby against it. The Moon treaty was getting almost no attention in Washington because it would have little practical effect for decades at least, but there was good reason to think it would effectively outlaw private property and commercial operations in space like asteroid or Moon mining. There was strong reason to think it would be signed in Washington because to them it sounded good but wouldn’t have any effects on what politicians then deemed important.

Long story short, Washington ultimately didn’t sign, and there is some thought we (L5 Society) helped by getting it better noticed by politicians and more thought given about possible future effects, though I don’t know how much real effect we had. It is also thought that some other countries that were thinking of signing also didn’t when the US indicated it wasn't. Notably, the USSR and China didn’t, but India did and just in reviewing this, I see there are arguments there that they should get out:

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le31634373.ece

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Actually, answering my own question, this article implies that there may be opposition from inside the EU. But it just implies the possibility.

https://theconversation.com/artemis-...reement-148134
    I see they mention the moon treaty there. France and India signed it, but Germany didn’t.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My take away was China will not sign as they will not be invited even if they want to - "The Artemis Accords are open to any country, Gold responded. “In an ideal world, we would sit down with every country that could possibly participate in Artemis,” he said. “But we also cannot wait for every single issue to ultimately be resolved before going to the Moon.” Or almost any country. Since the Artemis Accords are structured as bilateral agreements between the US and each nation, any involvement with China would likely run afoul of existing restrictions in federal law involving bilateral cooperation between NASA and Chinese entities. “NASA, as an agency, will always follow the law, and the law right now prohibits us from engaging China on bilateral activities,” Bridenstine told reporters. If the law changed, he added, “NASA stands ready, but that this point it’s just not in the cards.”"