Thread: It Rained So Hard on Ancient Mars that Craters Filled Up and Overflowed

It Rained So Hard on Ancient Mars that Craters Filled Up and Overflowed

Figuring out the ancient climate on Mars has been tricky. While evidence gathered from orbit and on the surface seems to indicate there must have been a lot more water on Mars early in its history, questions remain on how much water and in what form. A new study has now quantified the amount of …
    Continue reading "It Rained So Hard on Ancient Mars that Craters Filled Up and Overflowed"
    The post It Rained So Hard on Ancient Mars that Craters Filled Up and Overflowed appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Um of course it rained hard and perhaps often early in the history of Mars. How else would Valles Marineris been formed?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Um of course it rained hard and perhaps often early in the history of Mars. How else would Valles Marineris been formed?
    https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eature_83.html

The origin of the Valles Marineris remains unknown, although a leading hypothesis holds that it started as a crack billions of years ago as the planet cooled.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The origin of the Valles Marineris remains unknown, although a leading hypothesis holds that it started as a crack billions of years ago as the planet cooled.
    And I don't doubt that it may be a leading hypothesis, but the fact is the origin remains unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    And I don't doubt that it may be a leading hypothesis, but the fact is the origin remains unknown.
    And, the hypothesis that the VM formed by liquid flow from rain, is equally unsupported. "Um, of course."

My personal hypothesis is a combination of both, Mars cracked open and later flooding rains helped erode the walls of the ginormus valley leaving behind numerous dried up tributaries. The water falls must have been spectacular.

Hey, bknight asked "how else?" I gave him another else.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Hey, bknight asked "how else?" I gave him another else.
    I admit I was a little overzealous with my question, thinking/comparing of the Grand Canyon. But there many possibilities.