View Poll Results: What are my chances?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • They'll have it fixed in 10 minutes!

0 0%
  • It'll get fixed by the end of the visit.

1 12.50%
  • 25%

0 0%
  • 50%

3 37.50%
  • 75%

1 12.50%
  • Wine. (I prefer that to beer.)

3 37.50%

Thread: What are my chances?

What are my chances?

Of having working internet this time tomorrow? Other than via the phone, I mean.
    Backstory, in case you haven't been following:
    Last Monday afternoon, September 7, the power flickered followed by the cable TV going off. After giving it a while and rebooting the cable boxes (as recommended, over and over, by the cable company) I called them. Eventually got through to a representative. Who was pretty incompetent. But ok, it was a holiday.
    Told him we had no TV, but the internet worked. Asked him if there was an outage in the area, in which case we would just wait for it to be fixed. He said no.
    We messed around for half an hour or so. Rebooted the boxes a couple more times. Nothing. Eventually, during one of multiple periods on hold, the internet went out.
    When he came back I told him that. No, he couldn't see it. He sent a command to reset the modem. Which did nothing. Asked me to unplug it. Ok, which box do you want me to unplug? The big black one that says "ARRIS", the smaller black one labeled "Actiontech", or the little white one that says "EERO". He had no idea what any of those were. So I unplugged the big one, but it has a battery in it for the VOIP phone so it didn't change anything.
    Eventually I gave up and put it down to an area outage. But apparently it wasn't.

A couple of days ago, being in the vicinity, I walked into their office in Port Hadlock and asked if there was an outage in my area. There isn't. The guy on the phone broke something. But they did manage to move my service call up from September 18 to September 14, tomorrow. So, what's going to happen?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When he came back I told him that. No, he couldn't see it. He sent a command to reset the modem. Which did nothing. Asked me to unplug it. Ok, which box do you want me to unplug? The big black one that says "ARRIS", the smaller black one labeled "Actiontech", or the little white one that says "EERO". He had no idea what any of those were. So I unplugged the big one, but it has a battery in it for the VOIP phone so it didn't change anything.
    The battery tells me that is the cable modem. When used for VOIP, they often have a battery so they have backup power for an outage. The representative may not be familiar with it if it was purchased and not rented from the company. First thing I do before there is trouble is to google the hardware and read up a bit, and download any documentation pdfs I can.

In this case, googling “Arris” turns up this site:

https://www.arris.com/surfboard/

Which has information on the Arris Surfboard, a cable modem. I would recommend looking for the model number on your cable modem, and google how to reset the modem or how to remove the batteries and then power cycle it. If your connection is good and your modem is still functioning, this could resolve the problem. Also, I recommend reading up on what the indicator lights mean. That can tell you some issues at a glance, like if there is a signal problem. There are basically three possibilities: (1) you’re not getting full signal, but if you’re getting TV and VOIP you are getting something, (2) there is an issue with the cable modem or (3) there is an issue after the cable modem. If I were testing, I would power cycle everything I could, including routers. EERO, incidentally, is known for mesh routers. Depending on the issue, like whether it is their problem or something to do with your purchased hardware or wiring, they may or may not be willing to work on it, or they might charge extra. Also, given that you have to wait, it pays to be able to do some checks yourself.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, I will add that if all the cable modem lights are lit, nothing blinking, chances are it is working and the problem is after it. Again, I really recommend learning what the indicator lights on your modem mean.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The battery is actually to keep the VOIP phone working. Which, surprisingly, it does. I did try taking the battery out, powering it down, and restarting. No improvement. All the lights are green, except one. Which is labeled "signal". What a surprise! I've powered everything down multiple times, in fact.

I am 99% sure the problem is not in my house. The first phone rep I talked to turned something off.

I've drawn a little schematic of what's connected to what. I think now, before he comes, I'll also type up a history and description for him.

Stuff that amuses me: Typing "All the lights are green" caused "California Dreamin'" to start running through my head!

Oh, and I've been officially notified by Verizon that we are getting overage charges on the cell data.

Update. John has just left after an hour and a half. Very nice, very professional, very competent, even straightened up the rat's nest of cables for us. And now we not only don't have internet, the phone doesn't work either. He concurs that the first service rep I talked to a week ago messed things up, but during a full hour on his phone with the company, they can't figure out what.

Eventually he replaced the Arris box with a new one. Which won't connect to their network because of some sort of "provisioning outage", affecting multiple states. It's just got green lights blinking like crazy.

Supposedly when they fix their outage it'll hook up and everything will be fine. Supposedly. My estimate of the probability of that happening is approximately zero.

We are paying over $300 per month for their "services".

Internet is now working, not sure how long it's been. Phone is not. Even after I plugged it in.

Well, an improvement of sorts, as cell phone use is inexpensive but cell internet is not. I wouldn’t be surprised if VOIP wakes up after a bit more time.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

John the tech -- who'll get a thumbs up from me if they offer me a chance to review -- came back. He had to call in to get the phone connected. All working now.
    We could, of course, get unlimited data for the cell phones but don't normally need it.

I intend to spend the rest of the day watching YouTube videos!

Hmm. Lemme See Now . . .

John the tech -- who'll get a thumbs up from me if they offer me a chance to review -- came back. He had to call in to get the phone connected. All working now.
    We could, of course, get unlimited data for the cell phones but don't normally need it.

I intend to spend the rest of the day watching YouTube videos!
    I picked "fixed by the end of the visit" based on your description and my own experience as a tech. Yes, I think your tech fixed a toughy.

I picked 50% because... it would either happen or it won't. That's how probability works, right?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I picked 50% because... it would either happen or it won't. That's how probability works, right?
    Off topic, but have you seen the Daily Show about the LHC, with John Oliver? It's pretty hilarious. (I guess you are referencing it).
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Off topic, but have you seen the Daily Show about the LHC, with John Oliver? It's pretty hilarious. (I guess you are referencing it).
    Never seen it.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I had a coworker once, years ago, who genuinely believed that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

...All working now....
    Could he express what the problem had been?

Are you running cable TV or wifi streaming TV? After a recent outage, I had internet, so the modem/router was working, but the TV wouldn't connect to the wifi. I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in, then it connected.

BTW, we're in the boonies, essentially without cell phone coverage. We just turn on "wifi calling" on our phones, and that works anywhere in the house.... until the power/wifi goes out. But we've got a generator for such occurrences.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Need Better Odds

Half of the time.

Never seen it.
    It's actually really good. The reason I thought of it is that someone in the episode actually says what you said, but seriously, not as a joke.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/hzqmb9...adron-collider
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Could he express what the problem had been?

Are you running cable TV or wifi streaming TV? After a recent outage, I had internet, so the modem/router was working, but the TV wouldn't connect to the wifi. I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in, then it connected.

BTW, we're in the boonies, essentially without cell phone coverage. We just turn on "wifi calling" on our phones, and that works anywhere in the house.... until the power/wifi goes out. But we've got a generator for such occurrences.
    Basically, the first guy I talked to told the system to look for some non-existent modem. I rebooted everything on the system multiple times, without success. I'm now reminded that they sent me an email to do a survey. I should do that now before I forget.

So did I.

Years - decades - ago a local TV station got a new weatherman. His first week on the job the Houston mayor showed up to welcome him, and took over the weather forecast. "Now, it says here there's an 80% chance of showers tomorrow, but in my capacity as mayor I'm changing that to 50%. The way I see it, either it's gonna rain or it's not."

Basically, the first guy I talked to told the system to look for some non-existent modem. I rebooted everything on the system multiple times, without success. I'm now reminded that they sent me an email to do a survey. I should do that now before I forget.
    And about the time you hit SEND your wifi will go down.

(That's not probability, that's Murphy.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

According to a certain Professor Murphy, if there's a 50% chance they'll fix it, there's at least a 75% chance they won't be able to.