Thread: Engine for mass market space flights

Engine for mass market space flights

Sup!

So I have read an interesting article last week, thanks to Bloomberg (check it out here https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ts-than-spacex) and I wonder, if such company as "Firebird" can create smaller rockets doea it mean that:
    1) Space X can worry about new competitor
    2) Mass Space flights can evolve soon.

I do understand that it's just a small article, although it's very important. What are your thoughts?

I think SpaceX is not going to worry much over a $150 million company making small rockets. I also doubt it will change the market much.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Welcome to the board, Eric H. Firefly is one of the companies competing for the small rocket market. They have smaller payloads than SpaceX rockets. Rocket Labs has been successfully launching small rockets, and I’ve read analyses indicating that there might be room for one more competitor in that market. Competition for SpaceX is limited, although SpaceX does offer smaller payload launches, usually sharing space with other payloads. The advantage for the small rockets is they give greater flexibility for small payload launches than large rockets.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

What if they grow?))q

So, technically, they are just two different companies within different spheres?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
    Sup!

So I have read an interesting article last week, thanks to Bloomberg (check it out here https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ts-than-spacex) and I wonder, if such company as "Firebird" can create smaller rockets doea it mean that:
    1) Space X can worry about new competitor
    2) Mass Space flights can evolve soon.

I do understand that it's just a small article, although it's very important. What are your thoughts?
    The Firefly Alpha is to launch 1000 kg to LEO for $15M. The Falcon 9 can launch 16000 kg (roughly what a full stack of 60 Starlink satellites masses) while still recovering the booster for reuse, and has been contracted to fly for $42M. That's 16 times the payload at about 18% of the cost per kg and 2.8 times the total price...if you need 3 Firefly Alpha launches, you could save money and launch over 5 times as much payload by switching to a Falcon 9. Not seeing how this is going to be terribly concerning to SpaceX.

Damn, that's really breaks the legend behind Firefly... So Musk has "press X to win" company?

Are those engines also environment-friendly?

"Skyrora pick up prestigious Icelandic award for environmental contribution" this article give interesting idea about eco-friendly launches. Is this pioneer toppic, or it was emplemented already? i mean the emission is higher from launches than from normal aviation?

"Skyrora pick up prestigious Icelandic award for environmental contribution" this article give interesting idea about eco-friendly launches. Is this pioneer toppic, or it was emplemented already? i mean the emission is higher from launches than from normal aviation?
    Hi Eric H,

Even with today's reduced air traffic, the total pollution arising from rocket launches is comparatively miniscule.

Damn, that's really breaks the legend behind Firefly... So Musk has "press X to win" company?
    https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_chr/lau2020.htm

Going by launches, Falcon 9 has had 20% of the launches so far this year, and they probably haven't hit their full launch rate yet...they emptied their backlog last year and have just started regular Starlink launches.
    Going by satellites launched...well, scroll down a bit. They already have a functional Starlink constellation with more than 700 satellites, and are adding up to 60 more with each launch.

To lose, he'd have to stop moving and wait for everyone to catch up. Look at what's going on in Boca Chica to get an idea of how likely that is to happen.

A Falcon 9 launch uses about as much fuel as an intercontinental airliner flight, and probably produces less particulate carbon and nitrogen oxides in the process. Even SpaceX doesn't launch enough for their contribution to the total to be more than rounding error (there are a lot of intercontinental flights).

Fueling a rocket with kerosene produced from waste plastic is a gimmick. It's not going to deal with much plastic, and it only "recycles" it once. It would be more interesting to see the process extended to generate plastics and other petrochemical products from that "ecosene".

Thread moved from Science & Technology to Space Exploration
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules