Thread: Science Fiction Space Ships....

Science Fiction Space Ships....

Thought that this might be interesting to watch. Below is a video of Space Ships throughout the years of Sci-Fi and their comparative sizes from tiniest to planet size. It takes 12 minutes to go through them all, many I'm unfamiliar with, each story/movie in which appear is also listed.

https://youtu.be/aTPwbVqU6lc

That’s nice. I recognized most of them, but I had to look up Destiny (a science fiction game). I missed a few I would have liked to see, like Rama.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Thanks for this. It was a nice bit of fun. I didn't recognise many of the 'newer' ones but that was to be expected. But as an old-timer I must express my disappointment that there was no "Forbidden Planet" Space Cruiser, the Moon from Space 1999, United Galaxy Sanitation Patrol Cruiser, the "Flying Saucer" from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" - the 1951 film of course or Nell from "Battle Beyond the Stars".

The sanitation spacecraft from Quark? That's an incredibly obscure one. My local station only ran three episodes before they took it off the air. That's the first time I contacted a station to protest. I didn't see any other episodes until around ten years ago when it came out on DVD and only vaguely remembered the show I hadn't seen since since the '70s. I definitely can't blame anyone for not being familiar with it, even if they were old enough to have watched it on air.

For somewhat less obscure, I would have picked Liberator from Blake's 7, though I'm not sure if there were good information on what its dimensions were supposed to be.

I agree about the C-57D (Forbidden Planet).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    The sanitation spacecraft from Quark? That's an incredibly obscure one. My local station only ran three episodes before they took it off the air. That's the first time I contacted a station to protest. I didn't see any other episodes until around ten years ago when it came out on DVD and only vaguely remembered the show I hadn't seen since since the '70s. I definitely can't blame anyone for not being familiar with it, even if they were old enough to have watched it on air.

For somewhat less obscure, I would have picked Liberator from Blake's 7, though I'm not sure if there were good information on what its dimensions were supposed to be.

I agree about the C-57D (Forbidden Planet).
    I saw all 8 episodes of Quark when it first ran, I doubt if there were ever repeats, and for some reason it struck my funny bone. It also seemed to contain a bit of an amusing dig at the pomposity of some of the then current Science Fiction shows as well.

The Liberator was a good thought. One person arrived at an estimate of around 230 metres in length. The "Technical Manual" is scaled in millispacials and I don't seem to be able to convert that measurement.

http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/Essays...2D220%20meters.

https://fanlore.org/wiki/The_Horizon...chnical_Manual

Quite the impressive fleet of ships on display. Thanks for posting it. My two missing favorites would be the Cygnus from The Black Hole and the Satellite of Love from Mystery Science Theater 3000. I was quite pleased to see the Planet Express ship from Futurama included though. I guess I didn't realize how many fictional ships had stated dimensions to work from.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The Liberator was a good thought. One person arrived at an estimate of around 230 metres in length. The "Technical Manual" is scaled in millispacials and I don't seem to be able to convert that measurement.
    Someone here, quoting from a daunting bibliography, claims that 1 millispacial = 95.81 ft. (He says, dipping a toe into a topic he knows pretty much nothing about.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Someone here, quoting from a daunting bibliography, claims that 1 millispacial = 95.81 ft. (He says, dipping a toe into a topic he knows pretty much nothing about.)

Grant Hutchison
    A nice find. They were having fun back then on that site! So he calculates the length as 725.42 metres. Mmmhh - seems a bit long to me, I reckon the 200 - 300 metre length still seems more reasonable but who am I to say.

I must admit I am getting a bit into an angels dancing on pinheads area.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Oct-03 at 01:12 PM.

Glad Y'all liked that presentation. It didn't occur to me that the flying saucers were missing from "The Day The Earth Stood Still", and "The Forbidden Planet". Another 2 "Saucer" types that were missing were from the 2 1960's series "Lost in Space" and "The Invaders". Perhaps all 4 weren't included because each of those flying saucer craft were limited in playing a part in space flying scenes? I'd estimate that each of those 4 saucers were about the same size +/- a couple meters?

ARA Press has a nice book called “The Saucer Fleet”. No chart with them all together.
    I have the old Starlog book on spaceships. I’d love to see a follow on.

For proposed real spaceships, look up Bekuo, a nuclear electric craft; Scorpion, and Terra Nova (nuclear thermal)
    Solar Electric craft concepts look a bit like ISS.