Thread: High magnification binoculars

High magnification binoculars

I'm in the market for a pair of high magnification binoculars. I have a pair of 10x50 (I didn't know these were so highly recommended!), but I want to go up in magnification to 20x or 25x. So I'm looking for specific recommendations for the binoculars AND the tripod/mount, which is necessary at that magnification. These will be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. I'm hoping to stay well under $1,000, maybe around $400-$600?

I appreciate the binocular sticky. So the aperture will have to be up around 100mm. The BAK4 prism sounds like the necessary choice, and multi-coated or fully multi-coated....

Any opinions on the Celestron Skymaster 25x100? It is suggested to be paired with the Celestron Altazimuth tripod, which I'm not sure about, since its maximum height is just 45 inches. So obviously its not designed for viewing while standing.

In any case, any comments, suggestions welcome!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I don't have the Celestron 25x but I do have their 15x model and while they are very high value there are many higher quality binoculars out there (usually much more expensive though). AFAIK it is the same thing for the 25x version. Using binoculars with a regular tripod is pretty hard especially if the tripod is relatively low. The only really useful 25x binos I tried on star parties (i.e. have usable viewing angles) have had angled eye pieces and a very sturdy U-fork mount. There are many other solutions though that looks workable that I haven't tried like parallelogram mounts.

I don't think there are many active amateur astronomers around here anymore, I'd post at https://stargazerslounge.com/ as well, they tend to be very helpful.
    Last edited by glappkaeft; 2020-Dec-13 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glappkaeft View Post
    ...The only really useful 25x binos I tried on star parties (i.e. have usable viewing angles) have had angled eye pieces and a very sturdy U-fork mount.....
    Thanks, glappkaeft. Yeah, those look great, BUT... they're typically well over $1,000. Also, the parallelogram mounts look great as well, but they cost about as much as the Skymaster 25x100!

I guess I'll take the plunge with the mentioned Skymaster and tripod. As with my acoustic guitar acquisitions, I started out with a $500 Epiphone Masterbilt and after a number of years, moved up to a significantly more expensive Guild F512.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I guess I'll take the plunge with the mentioned Skymaster and tripod.
    I'm a bit late and this reply is probably not relevant given your stated preference for 20x or 25x, but... I have the Celestron 15x70 Skymaster, and a tripod is a must even at this magnification. I use a lightweight camera tripod, but it's a challenge to keep it steady. I have to take care to not even touch it while observing. Years ago I found plans for a DIY parallelogram mount, but it never became a priority to build it.

As with my acoustic guitar acquisitions, I started out with a $500 Epiphone Masterbilt and after a number of years, moved up to a significantly more expensive Guild F512.
    Yowza!

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    ...Yowza!
    <veer>
    Heh. Actually I got quite a deal on mine. Just a year old (made in Guild's new plant in Oxnard, California), the original owner apparently knocked it off a stand, leaving a 1" gouge on each edge of the lower bout. So I got it for about 1/3 of the cost of a new one. I had a luthier repair the gouges, and it's essentially like new. Guild's F512 is really the ultimate 12-string in my book, although I'm close to preferring my 2002 Corona, California-built JF30-12, which is equally awesome. Both are 17" lower bout jumbos.

JF30-12
    jib786.jpg
    </veer>

At least try to simulate it with your existing binoculars and a broom handle or something. A tripod that just 45 inches/114 cm is very low for astronomy use and will be almost impossible to use and very uncomfortable. Even a high (1.8-2m) tripod is no good for more than about 45 degrees without angled eyepieces, parallelograms or other improvements.

These pages has some good advice.
    http://binocularsky.com/binoc_mount.php

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...or-binoculars/
    Last edited by glappkaeft; 2020-Dec-14 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added on more link

Big thing with the Tripod, can you put other attachments to it easy, Camera or Webcam or Nightvision, is it Sturdy and Strong but also Compact and portable, is your stand easily and readily adjustable? Quality and staying power, will it work and survive a long while, you want something that can take a bump in the car but is it not over-priced that is 'Affordable', some other people love their gadgets the accessories that come with stuff they buy, battery gadget stuff, compass, gps stuff that comes with something you buy. A tripod should be easy to carry, can you lift it yourself easy, hike it up hills etc does it have secure fixing? When you buy an expensive scope or binoculars sometimes you get a custom made stand or tripod with it to perfectly dit the design of that telescope or binoculars.

Cloudy nights forum linked above by Glappkaeft often offers good advice.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I'm in the market for a pair of high magnification binoculars. I have a pair of 10x50 (I didn't know these were so highly recommended!), but I want to go up in magnification to 20x or 25x. So I'm looking for specific recommendations for the binoculars AND the tripod/mount, which is necessary at that magnification. These will be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. I'm hoping to stay well under $1,000, maybe around $400-$600?

I appreciate the binocular sticky. So the aperture will have to be up around 100mm. The BAK4 prism sounds like the necessary choice, and multi-coated or fully multi-coated....

Any opinions on the Celestron Skymaster 25x100? It is suggested to be paired with the Celestron Altazimuth tripod, which I'm not sure about, since its maximum height is just 45 inches. So obviously its not designed for viewing while standing.

In any case, any comments, suggestions welcome!
    May not be relevant but I had difficulty finding “longer eye relief” ie the distance separation because my glasses correct for astigmatism. Ordinary binocs now give me mishapen stars.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G