Thread: 2024 Eclipse - The Great American Eclipse - but where is my best chance?

2024 Eclipse - The Great American Eclipse - but where is my best chance?

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out where my best chance for the April 2024 eclipse viewing experience is here in the US.

I live in the northeast and April (though not November - the worst) is probably not idea for clear skies. I have a friend in Dallas and was thinking of traveling there for a better chance at clear skies.

Is there a web site where I can plug in the path of totality and get back the probably of clear skies for all of those locations?

Jim

The path of totality is at https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEplot...2024Apr08T.GIF

A four year weather forecast looks more difficult.

2024?

2020 must be lived...

Weatherwise it's always a roll of the dice no matter which location you pick. Two of my past eclipse trips were on cruise ships which were planning to be in ports at the time of totality, but due to cloudy conditions at the ports the Captains decided to go back out to sea and sail into more clear skies using satellite data as a guide (both worked out great).

Living here in Va my shortest route to the path of totality for 2024 is driving up towards the Lake Erie area somewhere along a line between Cleveland, OH and Erie, PA. We'll make it a combo/backup trip to explore some of the local areas along the way such as the Amish communities, etc. Ideally, assuming the skies are clear, sailing out into the middle of Lake Erie would be the sweet spot.

I'm in the heart of totality, and at this point, I'm staying here. As Spacedude and Robert Tulip said, 3 year weather forecasts are tough.

I already have a commemorative t-shirt for the event.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Change of plans.......I going to Swift's house ;-)

A party at Swift's house sounds great!

Although a forecast that far in advance is hard, you still can aim based on general climate trends. For the 2017 eclipse, we picked Cascade, Idaho, one of the places where the rain shadow from the mountains to the west makes it very dry. I recall someone had helpfully cross referenced mean cloud cover with length of totality. I'll bet someone will do something similar for 2024.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Yep. Here you go. Looks like Mexico is the way to go, or barring that, Texas or as far southwest as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Change of plans.......I going to Swift's house ;-)
    That's cool though Ohio in April is not known for sunshine
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

That's very kind of you Swift but I was just being my typical silly self. In fact, another plan (B) which may be in the works is a Texas trip. I have a brother who lives near Dallas and a sister-in-law who lives in Houston and we've been putting off a trip to visit them both going on several years now. This may be a good excuse to visit 2 birds and view the eclipse with one stone, plus having 2 local weather options to iron out while down there. That decision probably won't materialize until late 2023. Hopefully you will get lucky with an April 2024 cold front sweeping in clear Canadian air during that time, as long as it doesn't generate late season lake effect snows :-( .....anywho, may we all have good viewing conditions no matter our location at the time.

Well, I live in Twinsburg, so for me weather is most important.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Gotta be Niagara Falls for me, what a place to see it!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Eclipsophile provides maps showing average cloud cover for the month of an eclipse.
    Relevant page here.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Eclipsophile provides maps showing average cloud cover for the month of an eclipse.
    Relevant page here.

Grant Hutchison
    I believe that's the link I posted above.

Awesome. Gonna pass right over the Niagara peninsula.

Maybe I'll come down and meet with @KaiYeves for a party.

Forum administrators can borrow the CosmoQuest private jet and see the entire eclipse.

Here are states where the eclipse is seen the best Texas (including parts of San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth, as well as all of Arlington, Dallas, Killeen, Temple, Texarkana, Tyler, and Waco), Oklahoma, Arkansas (including Hot Springs, Jonesboro and Little Rock), Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana (including Bloomington, Evansville, Indianapolis, Muncie, Terre Haute, and Vincennes), Ohio (including Akron, Dayton, Lima, Roundhead, Toledo, Cleveland, Warren, Newton Falls), New Hampshire and Maine. The largest city on the way will be Dallas, Texas.

Just 3 more years to go jgui, just in case you're still wondering about the future weather prospects here's the US weather map from 3 days ago. It wouldn't be a good one for most of the path for the 4/8/2024 eclipse.

stnplot_20210408.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm in the heart of totality, and at this point, I'm staying here. As Spacedude and Robert Tulip said, 3 year weather forecasts are tough.

I already have a commemorative t-shirt for the event.
    Reserve me a seat, please :-)
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here, the special rules for the ATM section here and conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC