Thread: Snakes and eggs, your basic Florida breakfast

Snakes and eggs, your basic Florida breakfast

Snake and eggs for breakfast? Florida may soon encourage eating invasive pythons.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-snake-...-invasive.html
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I read recently that the main influx of pythons was not from pet owners releasing their individual pets, but from the destruction of a breeding facility (established after importing of the pythons was banned).

one link I found

Because pythons can grow to such unmanageable sizes, it was inevitable that some irresponsible owners would release the snakes into the wild. But most experts believe the pythons established a reproducing population in the Everglades sometime after Hurricane Andrew—a category 5 storm that devastated the state in August 1992. It was during that storm that a python breeding facility was destroyed, releasing countless snakes into the nearby swamps.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Rattlesnakes are frequently eaten in the Southwest US, so eating pythons isn't shocking.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

From the link it sounds like the mercury content of these snakes is the main drawback, esp for the larger snakes. Another point made was that cooking pythons in a pressure cooker helps tenderize the toughness resulting in a fish-like texture which tastes similar to chicken or pork. I'd give it a try.