Thread: We are stardust

We are stardust

I finally got around to a little project I promised myself after seeing The Origin Of The Elements on APOD. With a table of the atomic composition of the human body and a spreadsheet, I came up with this:
    pioneer.jpg

Grant Hutchison

Very interesting. Im a little surprised - I naively thought there would be more hydrogen/big bang original material, but I expect the percentages would be a tad different if by number of atoms vs. mass percentage. The Pioneer plaque graphics are appropriate. Nice.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, I just saw the “pioneer.jpg” at the bottom. Is that your way of giving credit? It isn’t really that Jpeg any more, maybe just a small credit would be better? Edit - I see that’s the name of the file.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We really are stardust! And neutron-star dust. And primordial hydrogen and cosmic spallation stuff.

Mix, heat, and let ferment for a few billion years. Do not boil.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Very interesting. I’m a little surprised - I naively thought there would be more hydrogen/big bang original material, but I expect the percentages would be a tad different if by number of atoms vs. mass percentage. The Pioneer plaque graphics are appropriate. Nice.
    Yes, hydrogen dominates in moles, oxygen in kilograms.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Oh, I just saw the “pioneer.jpg” at the bottom. Is that your way of giving credit? It isn’t really that Jpeg any more, maybe just a small credit would be better? Edit - I see that’s the name of the file.
    The file name is just my way of tracking this image on my hard drive. The Pioneer plaque image is public domain, so the iconic silhouettes are intended a sort of Easter egg for people (like you) who recognize them. I wanted public domain + nude human silhouette + no sexist choice + relevance to topic. After about ten seconds of reflection, the choice seemed clear.
    (OK, there's actually still significant sexism in the Pioneer plaque, part of which is evident in the silhouettes, but the iconic relevance drew me in.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Dec-23 at 02:39 AM.

Lovely work there.

As an addition to the chart, maybe the amount of electrical power our bodies generate that could be picked up by a dish if transmitted?

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post

As an addition to the chart, maybe the amount of electrical power our bodies generate that could be picked up by a dish if transmitted?
    Probably not. The level of bioelectricity from a human body is barely detectable even a few inches from the skin. It would be quickly lost in background noise at greater distances.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    In describing the stardust, we see the stuff, the life within is a bunch of processes and functions, many of which could be detected at a distance in principle. But that is another story.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Lots of hydrogen and oxygen. It's a warning to aliens that we are composed of deadly dihydrogen monoxide!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Lots of hydrogen and oxygen. It's a warning to aliens that we are composed of deadly dihydrogen monoxide!
    We need bright stripes like a poisonous insect.

We're made of rocket fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    We're made of rocket fuel?
    They want us for our water! Shades of the 1980s.

I thought Mars Needs Women, not water...