Thread: Author James Gunn, 97, has passed

Author James Gunn, 97, has passed

James Gunn was an SF author, critic, and academic who was the director of the KU Gunn Center for the Study of Science Fiction.

Prof Gunn was one of the founders of the John W. Campbell Memorial Award, first presented at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, in 1973.

See https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...248066660.html and http://www.sfcenter.ku.edu/
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Yes, I saw that earlier. He wasn't as big a name as Asimov, Heinlein or some others, but he was an important science fiction writer. He made it to quite an old age, but it still doesn't make me happy to see authors dying.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Very sad.

This one really makes me sad. A cousin of mine took Professor Gunn's SF course and sent me a copy of the reading list. I obtained every book on the list since I had planned to attend KU and also take the course. That didn't happen, but I still read every book on the list. I particularly appreciated Gunn's Road to Science Fiction series.
    So many bugs, so little time.