Thread: Dawn Wells Has Passed

Dawn Wells Has Passed

82, complications from Covid-19.

(She played MaryAnn on "Gilligan's Island," in case anyone doesn't recognize the name. If you don't recognize the names "MaryAnn" or "Gilligan's Island," then you probably don't care anyway)
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Just saw that. RIP to her and the memorable part she played in my youth. She was one of my earlist boyhood celebrity crushes.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

So that leaves Tina Louise as the last survivor of the cast at 86.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Just saw that. RIP to her and the memorable part she played in my youth. She was one of my earlist boyhood celebrity crushes.
    My feelings entirely. I was definitely a 'MaryAnn' rather than a 'Ginger' admirer.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    My feelings entirely. I was definitely a 'MaryAnn' rather than a 'Ginger' admirer.
    I admired both, but definitely preferred MaryAnn. Off hand, when I think of early crushes, if you can call them that given my age at the time, I think of Emma Peel, Janice Rand and MaryAnn. All gone, sadly.

As a kid I really liked watching Gilligan's Island, still watched it in reruns as a teenager (undoubtedly one of the few shows where I’ve seen every episode many times) and then at some point as a teenager I decided I just couldn’t put up with it anymore. I don’t think I’ve watched a full episode since then.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I admired both, but definitely preferred MaryAnn. Off hand, when I think of early crushes, if you can call them that given my age at the time, I think of Emma Peel, Janice Rand and MaryAnn. All gone, sadly.

As a kid I really liked watching Gilligan's Island, still watched it in reruns as a teenager (undoubtedly one of the few shows where I’ve seen every episode many times) and then at some point as a teenager I decided I just couldn’t put up with it anymore. I don’t think I’ve watched a full episode since then.
    Ah yes, definitely Emma Peel plus a more age appropriate one, as she is just two years older than me, Penny ( Angela Cartwright) from Lost in Space.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    (She played MaryAnn on "Gilligan's Island," in case anyone doesn't recognize the name. If you don't recognize the names "MaryAnn" or "Gilligan's Island," then you probably don't care anyway)
    Well, I fall into that category, but "don't care" seems a little harsh. Any person's death diminishes me, because I am involved in humankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

But I'm intrigued by all the "teenage crush" stuff, though. Is that a thing? I don't recall ever having the slightest unrequited pash for any TV or film character.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm intrigued by all the "teenage crush" stuff, though. Is that a thing? I don't recall ever having the slightest unrequited pash for any TV or film character.
    Well, in my case, as I said, I’m not sure if crush is quite right for the cases I mentioned, but then I wasn’t yet a teenager or reached puberty when I first watched the shows. Then again, I did watch reruns when older. In any case, I do think “innocent crush” would fit for some characters I saw. Maybe not quite so innocent as I got into my teenage years. I’m picturing Colonel Wilma Deering from the ‘70s Buck Rogers show right now. Of course I understood (especially when older) the character wasn’t the same as the actor, so it never was terribly serious.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I just listened to an interview of Dawn Wells on a local radio show that was recorded a couple years ago. She mentioned how a lot of people told her she was their first crush.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

But I'm intrigued by all the "teenage crush" stuff, though. Is that a thing? I don't recall ever having the slightest unrequited pash for any TV or film character.
    There may be a slight confusion about whether you have a crush on the character or on the actor or actress who played the character. I think the latter is quite common but the former rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    There may be a slight confusion about whether you have a crush on the character or on the actor or actress who played the character. I think the latter is quite common but the former rare.
    How do you make the distinction? Sure, if you are watching live tv, intellectually you know that the person you see isn’t actually living on a desert island, or a spy, crew member of a starship or whatever. But that’s what you see on TV. Most likely the actual person is very different from the character they play, personality and most everything else.

And that doesn’t even get into animation, games, or stories where you get invested in a character. There have been times I’ve gotten invested in a story and thought about how I would like to meet someone like one of the characters. Also, isn’t there a culture in Japan that gets really into anime characters? I’ve heard the line “2D is better than 3D.”

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Well, I fall into that category, but "don't care" seems a little harsh. Any person's death diminishes me, because I am involved in humankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Grant Hutchison
    Seconded, I was not raised in the US and must have missed whatever exposure reached the UK. But any death is sad to hear about.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm just bemused at the whole idea of people forming crushes on people they only ever encounter as a moving picture in a box in the corner of their living room. I guess it's maybe because I don't get immersed in TV or film to the same extent that many seem to.

Grant Hutchison

Dawn Wells Has Passed

I was 9 years old when the show debuted. My favorite character was The Professor.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I was 9 years old when the show debuted. My favorite character was The Professor.

Go figure.
    I was closer to 19 and incorrigible at the time so Ginger was my pick back then, but in my late 20's I saw the light shining on Mary Ann as the better choice......and yes, they'd all have been doomed without the Professor. RIP Dawn

The professor could make a supercomputer out of coconuts but he couldn't design a raft.

The Professor had a secret, he really didn't want to leave the island. After his first year there being stuck with Gilligan you'd think he'd build a two person raft and escape with Ginger (that's my inner 19 YO speculating ;-)

He was paid off by Mr. Howell, who was hiding out from charges of tax evasion and insider trading. But Gilligan was Howell's main agent, sabotaging every effort.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Seconded, I was not raised in the US and must have missed whatever exposure reached the UK.
    Television Heaven reports that it ran in the UK in 1965, but was dropped after 13 episodes. I think that was one of the times when my family didn't actually have a television, which might well contribute to my ignorance. (And, on reflection, I suppose the sporadic nature of my childhood TV exposure maybe also contributes to my moderate emotional detachment from that medium.)

Grant Hutchison

Whatever you grew up with is your standard of comparison. "My childhood as a circus performer was perfectly normal, I don't know about all you other weirdos."

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Fortunately, we still have the Flying Nun (Sally Field).

Years ago I used to frequent a now defunct animation & cartooning forum. We used to have drawing jams featuring celebrities or historical figures past and present. Basically, they would post pictures of said figure and you had to knock out your best rendition of so and so and quick. Of course, they had the inevitable Ginger or MaryAnn thread.

If I recall MaryAnne submissions ended up out-numbering Ginger submissions by about five to one. I went with MaryAnn at the time because she just seemed easier to draw. (no flowing evening dresses) Sorry to hear Dawn Wells has passed away.

Last edited by Selenite; 2021-Jan-01 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The professor could make a supercomputer out of coconuts but he couldn't design a raft.
    In reading one tribute, they mentioned an animated series I never saw, made years after the original show, called “Gilligan’s Planet.” The premise was that the professor built a rocket to get them off the island, but he built too well - instead of a suborbital hop, they end up on another (habitable, of course) planet. I like the idea he was just that good at achieving the seemingly impossible, but still fundamentally a failure at achieving his goal.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post

Go figure.
    Mine too. And he's not a scientist or professor, he's clearly an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    The Professor had a secret, he really didn't want to leave the island. After his first year there being stuck with Gilligan you'd think he'd build a two person raft and escape with Ginger (that's my inner 19 YO speculating ;-)
    Hey, he's there with two attractive young women and is the only half normal male. What could be better?

i've always wondered what those people were doing on a 3 hour cruise with all of that wardrobe!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Mine too. And he's not a scientist or professor, he's clearly an engineer.

Hey, he's there with two attractive young women and is the only half normal male. What could be better?

i've always wondered what those people were doing on a 3 hour cruise with all of that wardrobe!
    Yeah, Thurston brought along a chest full of cash while Lovey & Ginger had a closet full of clothes. I think only Gilligan, Skipper, and Professor wore the same stinky clothes for each episode. The Skipper and Gilligan imitated Laurel and Hardy a lot with the hat slapping and when the Skipper would occasionally glance into the camera with Hardy's "see what I have to put up with" look.

I'm just bemused at the whole idea of people forming crushes on people they only ever encounter as a moving picture in a box in the corner of their living room.
    I've actually written at least one or two articles on the concept; it's obviously not completely universal, but it's quite common.

I didn't write an obituary for Wells--I was busy, honestly---but she's yet another person who lived a good, long life unnecessarily cut short by this disease.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm just bemused at the whole idea of people forming crushes on people they only ever encounter as a moving picture in a box in the corner of their living room. I guess it's maybe because I don't get immersed in TV or film to the same extent that many seem to.

Grant Hutchison
    I will confess to having a crush on River Song! Woo Hoo, Doctor Who tonight, even if she's not in it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I will confess to having a crush on River Song! Woo Hoo, Doctor Who tonight, even if she's not in it.
    Well, Doctor Who is a whole other mystery for me.

Grant Hutchison

I feel a need to insert this link
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules