Thread: Kimberlite eruption

Kimberlite eruption

I am reading about gems in books I got for Xmas. One mentioned that kimberlite eruptions happened in the Cretaceous Period but fortunately none in human history.
    Fortunately? How bad would such an eruption REALLY be, compared to eruptions like Tambora or Laki? Supersonic, but aren't they small?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

I suppose it depends on how many dead people you're prepared to accept before you describe an event as "unfortunate". Personally, I think any time a large explosion and rain of boulders doesn't happen is a fortunate non-occurrence.

There a nice narrative description of a kimberlite explosion here.

Grant Hutchison

Well, the book made it seem this would be bad for the world and worse than what had happened in historical eruptions.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Kimberlite eruptions are hardly the most devastating eruptions but as Grant implies, each instance depends on circumstances. An eruption under a city would be quite unfortunate. Otherwise, the Tambora-like events would typically be worse, and the Yellowstone-like events far worse.

The link Grant gave says they are mostly features of early Earth, like komatiites or flood basalts. Yet one seems to have happened in the last couple hundred centuries if my research is right (Igwisi Hills) so the book was wrong about them being prehuman (and btw didn't Iceland have a couple fissure flow eruptions in historic time?).

Fissure eruptions - which are an ongoing process with plate tectonics- are not kimberlites.

Yes, the article lumped those phenomena together as restricted to "ancient Earth". But komatiites seem the only thing truly defunct.