Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Americas Cup 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEG5y08lkyI&t=4s

Mozzy Sails has a lot of U-tube vids on the tec rules and science behind the boats

too bad USA and the brits went down quickly with minimum fight

but finals will be soon remember today is tomorrow there

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post

Well, I wasn’t very fond of either team, so this is basically the best-case Final match-up I could have hoped for!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEG5y08lkyI&t=4s

Mozzy Sails has a lot of U-tube vids on the tec rules and science behind the boats

. own quickly with minimum fight

Cannot agree at all, first the boat designs were to a formula but still amazing for all teams, then the racing was close in terms of boat speed and with huge crew effort. It turns out pre start tactics are hugely important and the race times came down to seconds of delay, and there has to be a winner but to say ‘minimum fight’ is an insult to the teams. We shall see what happens now, but the losing teams were very competitive and devoted to their sport.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I see what you did there with that picture!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I see what you did there with that picture!
    I didn’t do anything, CQ just displays it as upside-down in the thumbnail and only right-side-up when made big.

11:30 USA eastern time on NBCSN FOR A DELAYED by 1:30 tv show

or use a proxy server for real time UK or NZ tv

Woah! Now that was some great racing, this is truly the masters of their craft facing off.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Woah! Now that was some great racing, this is truly the masters of their craft facing off.
    Very exciting although I want to see an overtake to prove it’s not just who starts better. And 50 knots in the turn! Also great camera work with long lenses.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Very exciting although I want to see an overtake to prove it’s not just who starts better. And 50 knots in the turn! Also great camera work with long lenses.
    Sorry, Kai, but I found it kind of dull. They might as well call it after the start. But I'll watch tonight anyhow.

Sorry, Kai, but I found it kind of dull. They might as well call it after the start. But I'll watch tonight anyhow.
    Today is a lay day, they start again tomorrow.

Interesting fact: As of today, Jimmy Spithill is the first skipper to have won 15 races in America’s Cup matches, more than anyone else in the event’s 170-year history, while Peter Burling has now won 9, equal to the famous early 20th century captain Charlie Barr. If they were to remain at the helms throughout the entire match, an LR victory would give Spithill 21 wins overall, while a Team NZ victory would give Burling 15.

Either outcome would put the winner above the previous record holder, Sir Russell Coutts, who retired with 14 wins and no losses (although he is still the most successful undefeated AC skippper).
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2021-Mar-10 at 05:38 PM.

Oops, now I've got to replan my evening!

Would anyone mind if I request a move of this thread to OTB or Small Media? Because I keep forgetting where to find it!

They say it is little mistakes like two seconds at the start or a capsize that decides who wins. The skill of sailing these is hard to appreciate, they make it look easy. The Italian boat has hydrofoils 30% larger than the NZ boat. Since hydrofoil drag must be really important it means the Italians should be able to stay up in lighter winds while the Kiwis should be faster in higher winds. With moderate breeze they seem to be very well matched. If we see different wind speeds and shifts, it will get interesting.
    sicut vis videre esto

Oops, now I've got to replan my evening!

Would anyone mind if I request a move of this thread to OTB or Small Media? Because I keep forgetting where to find it!
    Am I the only one who just presses “whats new?” Every time?
    sicut vis videre esto

Am I the only one who just presses “whats new?” Every time?
    That works if there's anything new. But there wasn't for a couple of weeks and I had to Google "Americas Cup Cosmoquest" to find it; the forum search engine being entirely useless.

That's what I thought. Kind of like F1 when whoever gets pole just leads to the end, unless somebody slips on a banana during a pit stop.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Woah boy, I don't know what my heart rate was, but it was definitely higher during that last race than Pete's or Jimmy's looked on the monitors! We did have the lead change and it does seem that this really can go either way.

The only thing is... we can't end the America's Cup in a tie.

Woah boy, I don't know what my heart rate was, but it was definitely higher during that last race than Pete's or Jimmy's looked on the monitors! We did have the lead change and it does seem that this really can go either way.

The only thing is... we can't end the America's Cup in a tie.
    Oops I made the mistake of seeing your post before the race, and then youtube only offered highlights of race four. It really spoils the fun to know the result but still, a tie at this stage keeps the interest up.
    sicut vis videre esto

Either I or the channel guide messed up yesterday and we missed race 3. But we've got it on the DVR so I can watch later today.
    Not only does the first boat across the start line win every time, one of the commentators pointed out that the boat on the port entry always wins the start.

Either I or the channel guide messed up yesterday and we missed race 3. But we've got it on the DVR so I can watch later today.
    Not only does the first boat across the start line win every time, one of the commentators pointed out that the boat on the port entry always wins the start.
    Both Jimmy and Pete said at the press conference that they thought the port-entry pattern was just a coincidence and someone with a strong starting box game could win with either entry.

It does seem the lead boat pulls away. The so called bad wind may go 100 m or so behind the lead boat causing eddies but when they go off different ways it may be luck. It also seems the Italians gain up wind, the slower leg, that may be the larger foil effect. The designers have to guess the race wind and where to compromise lift and drag. Maybe the trailing skipper hopes to find a stronger wind area to manage an overtake and luck comes into it again.
    sicut vis videre esto

We watched Race 3 from the DVR and went on and watched Race 4 again. And we know what time to look for it tonight!

Oh man, this is almost too intense, a part of me can't wait for SailGP in April so I can just watch racing where I have no favorites and am happy with any result again...

(No spoilers for people who read this thread before watching, I don't want to ruin it for you again.)

Oh man, this is almost too intense, a part of me can't wait for SailGP in April so I can just watch racing where I have no favorites and am happy with any result again...

(No spoilers for people who read this thread before watching, I don't want to ruin it for you again.)
    Thanks Kai I just saw race 6, it s frustrating having to wait but worth it. Pressure mounting!
    sicut vis videre esto

Well, so much for the "port entry wins" thing! But starting first still stands.

Thanks Kai I just saw race 6, it s frustrating having to wait but worth it. Pressure mounting!
    It’s probably not very good for my blood pressure, but this is only the third time both teams have secured 3 wins and the other two times were 1983 and 2013, probably THE most dramatic editions of all, so... it’s historic!

As a confirmed Luddite, I'd rather see displacement hulls and sail changes. Made of wood and linen!
    Agreed. You should have something to where you can get below deck...in case of bad weather.

Racing abandoned on day 4 (race 7 and 8) due to low wind, races rescheduled tomorrow. The first race of the day was postponed 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Agreed. You should have something to where you can get below deck...in case of bad weather.
    Sadly, the Vendée Globe just ended and The Ocean Race doesn't start until 2022, but those are my two favorite offshore races, which are in high-end monohulls (carbon composites rather than wood and linen, though) that do have cabins. And both are circumnavigations of the world! Here, have an a little taste!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAG View Post
    Racing abandoned on day 4 (race 7 and 8) due to low wind, races rescheduled tomorrow. The first race of the day was postponed 4 times.
    A bit disappointing, but the yachts being towed in up on their foils was kind of awesome!

Wow!
    I got to see displacement hulls!