Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Americas Cup 2021

Wow, the whole of race 8 was a race and a half despite being reduced 1 leg.

Oh my god, OH MY GOD! It was 1 AM my time when the last race finished and my adrenaline was flowing so much I could have gone out and run a 2 K.

What a day, what a day, if you haven't seen the racing yet, please avoid all spoilers and watch for yourself, it was insane.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Well I avoided pre knowledge and watched , wow, the previous wisdom overturned with an overtake and the old wisdom of wind variability reminded. All set up for tomorrow in ? Light winds again? Coming off the foils is the joker in the pack of cards the teams are dealt and the key issue in foil sailing, can you get up? Who would have thought that light wind sailing would be exciting?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh my god, OH MY GOD! It was 1 AM my time when the last race finished and my adrenaline was flowing so much I could have gone out and run a 2 K.

What a day, what a day, if you haven't seen the racing yet, please avoid all spoilers and watch for yourself, it was insane.
    I just got a call from a race driver and race sailor friend who has recorded it to watch all at once! I am warned not to tell hime anything! I don’t know why but I guess he is restricted to live broadcast and wants to be asleep at four in the morning. I have not even told him the race is still on! Luckily he knows nothing about this forum.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Stuff I don't get: If you've fallen off the foils, why not put the other one down for more lift? And if the wind is light, leave the previous one down for a while longer while making a maneuver. At least one of yesterday's incidents appeared to have been caused by raising it too early.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Stuff I don't get: If you've fallen off the foils, why not put the other one down for more lift? And if the wind is light, leave the previous one down for a while longer while making a maneuver. At least one of yesterday's incidents appeared to have been caused by raising it too early.
    Yes. I think it was an error. They go to a reach 90 degrees to try to get up, that puts a large wind force on the sails even in light wind, and it may put all the load on the lee foil in which case the windward one is better as a ballast. When cornering fast the windward foil may well be trimmed for negative lift. Because of racing it is worth losing the foil drag, for a more practical boat you would choose to have two foils with flaps, I think. Then when sailing on a reach at full speed the windward foil would be negative lift, replacing mass ballast. You see when flying the sails are practically straight but when trying to get up, they use the full range of the traveller.
    sicut vis videre esto

Its not even over but race 9 has been the best so far.

I agree! It had everything you would want from a race-- close racing, mostly within 150 meters, speeds over 40 knots, lead changes, and a come-from-behind victory! And right in front of the fans in the Harbour!

Agreed, best race by far.
    sicut vis videre esto

Between races 9 and 10 I texted my wife:
    "We should extend the time on the DVR"
    "How do we do that?"
    "I don't know, I was hoping you did"
    Eventually I figured out, but then they called it off anyhow.

NBC has decided to delay the possibly deciding race until the middle of the night, in favor of recorded motocross. Brilliant.

I don't know what I can say without spoilers, but, uh... Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

I don't know what I can say without spoilers, but, uh... Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!
    Well if I am the last to see race ten using you tube, then that is fine by me. I have seen it and congratulations to all competitors. I hope the designers get some praise too, the technology proved reliable and the details are quite tricky with those forces. I think for spectators the advantage of the leading boat due to bad air needs to be looked at. The courses were quite narrow for those speeds. Planning to have a bigger wind angle so the wind comes from one side might do it but then the boats could fly along without turning. Or a three or four sided course would help that factor. I am sure all will get considered as these fast boats are surely here to stay.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Well if I am the last to see race ten using you tube, then that is fine by me. I have seen it and congratulations to all competitors. I hope the designers get some praise too, the technology proved reliable and the details are quite tricky with those forces. I think for spectators the advantage of the leading boat due to bad air needs to be looked at. The courses were quite narrow for those speeds. Planning to have a bigger wind angle so the wind comes from one side might do it but then the boats could fly along without turning. Or a three or four sided course would help that factor. I am sure all will get considered as these fast boats are surely here to stay.
    You were not near the last as we watched from the DVR almost 12 hours later!
    The result was not surprising, but slightly disappointing to me due to my favoring the Italians. That being mostly due to the tendency of Kiwi teams to, how shall we say, creatively interpret the rules over the past few decades.

Ah well, if everyone’s caught up, I guess we can say it...

CONGRATULATIONS, TEAM NEW ZEALAND!

You were not near the last as we watched from the DVR almost 12 hours later!
    The result was not surprising, but slightly disappointing to me due to my favoring the Italians. That being mostly due to the tendency of Kiwi teams to, how shall we say, creatively interpret the rules over the past few decades.
    I thought it was the Americans who had that reputation in the AC? The NYYC’s reputation was one of several turn-offs with American Magic for me.

Ah well, if everyone’s caught up, I guess we can say it...

CONGRATULATIONS, TEAM NEW ZEALAND!

Indeed, I did not favour any team, but enjoyed the skill and the technology for these boats sailing up and down wind at least three times the wind speed. In the final I thought both boats very sleek and with similar choices about moving the crew around. If I have any doubts about the formula it seems a shame to have to sail with so many grinders and with a precharched battery to lift the hydrofoils. Now that the effectiveness of fully submerged foils has been shown, there should be a way to make them basically wind powered boats with some human effort and loads of skill. That’s AC racing for me. It could be done with some loss of top speed IMO. Somehow a team of grinders working really hard at high heart rates is not a good substitute for leaning out to windward or on a trapeze. But we shall see what transpires. Maybe a precharged battery for all the hydraulics is possible. Or there is scope to go even faster with lower foil drag I think.
    sicut vis videre esto