Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SpaceX / Inspiration4 mission - all civilian

Well, the launch went well and the first truly private launch is in orbit. History has been made.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Sep-16 at 01:11 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Wonderful launch and 1st stage landing although not much video. But congratulations SpaceX.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    One aspect I heard in today's information, "personally" contoured seats in the capsule. If they intend on making a retail customer experience, how long does it take to personally contour a seat? And then as asked above what kind of capsule training goes into a plan for the "masses"?
    But I guess the retail part will be designated for Starship and not these smaller crew designed flights. Then that leads to how much "personal" contouring is necessary for the masses? What medical tests would be administered prior to boarding? I'm sure that there will be lots of lawyer paperwork re-leaving SpaceX from "any and all personal hazards". So much more than developing a rocket before it all goes public.
    Probably not that much contouring is required. Sit in a standard seat, see how much less or more padding is required. Or inject some foam. Medical tests may be more important.

In the "stuff that annoys me" department, CNN found it necessary to cover the previous Bezos and Branson events live, but not this one, which is far more significant.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

IIRC SpaceX uses car racing seats, which are form-fitted by sitting in a foam mold while it sets. They're so comfortable some astronauts prefer to sleep in Crew Dragon (which also has great window views and is relatively quiet).

View of the Cupola

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/14...898066944?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Probably not that much contouring is required. Sit in a standard seat, see how much less or more padding is required. Or inject some foam. Medical tests may be more important.

In the "stuff that annoys me" department, CNN found it necessary to cover the previous Bezos and Branson events live, but not this one, which is far more significant.
    I agree that the event should have been covered, but since NASA was covering they may have chosen not too cover the event.

The mission is getting some coverage.

Below is the launch coverage from the BBC science correspondent.
    SpaceX: Amateur astronauts launch on Inspiration 4 Mission

CosmoSapiens are showing the view from the spacecraft live.
    SpaceX Inspiration4 First All-Civilian Mission to Space Watch Live

Not seeing any video from inside the Dragon. Or at least I haven’t been able to find any, other than the launch and orbital insertion video. I was hoping for shots of the amateurnauts poking their heads into the cupola. I guess they are saving footage until the Sept 30 show on Netflix.

Cupola pics at Twitter

Inspiration4 ✓@inspiration4x
    The crew of #Inspiration4 had an incredible first day in space! They’ve completed more than 15 orbits around planet Earth since liftoff and made full use of the Dragon cupola.

https://twitter.com/inspiration4x/st...16982564696065

It caught the attention of Buzz Aldrin. I bet this made Musk happy (he got some negative comments years ago from former astronauts). I also like that Buzz is alive to see it. Space development is continuing. The great space rut is ending. Former dreams are coming true.

https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/stat...68425044365313

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I attended a presentation by Buzz Aldrin many years ago (2006ish). He clearly expressed hope to up the efforts for spaceflight: go back to the moon but go with a purpose ("to stay" or something else useful), expand to the planets, etc. I'm glad he's still around to see at least one company is doing their very best to shift spaceflight into that gear.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Inspiration4 tracking...

https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=49220

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    i was curious about the orbital parameters
    perigee: 576.7 km
    apogee: 586.6 km

I've seen a few references around the interweb that this is the highest altitude record of any manned non-lunar mission. That's not strictly correct; Gemini 11 holds the record at 739.2 nautical miles (how quickly we forget) albeit as apogee with a perigee of 156.4 nm.

Gemini 11: (officially Gemini XI) was the ninth crewed spaceflight mission of NASA's Project Gemini, which flew from September 12 to 15, 1966. It was the 17th crewed American flight and the 25th spaceflight to that time (includes X-15 flights over 100 kilometers (54 nmi)). Astronauts Charles "Pete" Conrad Jr. and Richard F. Gordon Jr. performed the first-ever direct-ascent (first orbit) rendezvous with an Agena Target Vehicle, docking with it 1 hour 34 minutes after launch; used the Agena rocket engine to achieve a world-record high-apogee Earth orbit; and created a small amount of artificial gravity by spinning the two spacecraft connected by a tether. Gordon also performed two extra-vehicular activities for a total of 2 hours 41 minutes.

Apogee: 739.2 nautical miles (1,369.0 km)[3]

Inspiration4 is scheduled to splash down off the Florida coast at 19:06 EDT on Saturday, September 18, with entry interface about 30 minutes prior. I wish them well; this is the part of the mission with the smallest margin for error.

Inspiration4 sp!ashdown coverage

https://youtu.be/dpFKNNl47AM

Some pics of Inspiration 4 crew in space.

All amateur space crew enjoy views of earth

Heavens above is letting you know when you can see Inspiration4 in the sky with the naked eye….

You need to put in your location.
    Inspiration 4

Dragon's Claw released

Trunk separation

Deorbit burn (4 nose thrusters)
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2021-Sep-18 at 11:03 PM.

Nominal burn

Nose cone closing for reentry

Vehicle slewing to place heat shield forward.

Three days seems so short for an orbital flight, but then this is supposed to be enjoyable, not setting records, and I suppose three days gives them enough time to get a decent experience. It is a good argument for space hotels, though, with Starship as a passenger vehicle and the hotel providing more room, comfort, and having more things to do.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Crew Dragon is good for 10 days (Starliner: 3).

Drogue chutes

Main chutes!

Phew.

Splashdown

Well, I’m inspired. And very happy.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The private suborbital space flights were nice, but this really drives home we are at the start of a new era. A capsule is far too expensive for regular flights, but it is a start. I just wish it hadn’t taken so long. I expect almost anyone today that’s 30 or younger that really wants to go to space, is reasonably healthy and gets a decent income will eventually get their chance if they put some effort into it.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Hatch open. Inspection before they leave. I think I’d be a little sad to leave the capsule.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

They’re out, and it’s over.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser