Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SpaceX / Inspiration4 mission - all civilian

CNN found it important enough to show the landing, while they hadn't shown the launch.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Donation goal met: $210 million

Musk put them over the top with $50 million

https://twitter.com/StJudePLAYLIVE/s...15659713253376

I just wish the various articles would stop mentioning Bezos and Branson's joyrides as if they were comparable.

SpaceX says they are now getting a lot more interest in free flyer crewed flights. Looks like this won’t be a flash in the pan, even before Starship is developed far enough to take a lot of passengers at lower cost.

Article:
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ns/?comments=1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    I just wish the various articles would stop mentioning Bezos and Branson's joyrides as if they were comparable.
    Private spaceflight has been in the news a lot this summer, it’s only natural that other events in the same field would be discussed.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Billionaire one-upmanship generates clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Billionaire one-upmanship generates clicks.
    Yup, a narrative 1) for clickbait articles, and 2) to help slow followers maintain relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Yup, a narrative 1) for clickbait articles, and 2) to help slow followers maintain relevance.
    In a less snarky manner, news organizations would be remiss if they did not mention the other “amateur”space flights. The flights are not exactly common occurrences (yet) and the stories have a lot of connective tissue.

Over time, repetition will erode those connections.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    In a less snarky manner, news organizations would be remiss if they did not mention the other “amateur”space flights. The flights are not exactly common occurrences (yet) and the stories have a lot of connective tissue.

Over time, repetition will erode those connections.
    It only took 2 missions of Apollo to succumb to public apathy to cancel a lot of major TV network coverage.

Inspiration4 crew opening the cupola hatch. Check the faces...

https://youtu.be/5Qq127Xmq5I

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Inspiration4 crew opening the cupola hatch. Check the faces...

https://youtu.be/5Qq127Xmq5I
    I rather imagine that it would be awe inspiring IRL as opposed to viewing images/videos.

Glitchy toilet, comms blackouts and anti-nausea drugs. What's not to like in space?

Apparently the toilet had a problem with its suction fans but Issacman said there was no...ah...spillage.

They had short periods of communications blackouts; shades of Project Mercury. It also sounds like nausea affected some of the crew:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/25/tech/...scn/index.html

When asked directly about that on Thursday, however, Isaacman said "I want to be 100% clear: There were no issues in the cabin at all as it relates to that."

But Isaacman and his fellow travelers on the Inspiration4 mission did have to work with SpaceX to respond to the problem during their three-day stay in orbit, during which they experienced numerous communications blackouts, highlighting the importance of the crew's thorough training regimen.

"I would say probably somewhere around 10% of our time on orbit we had no [communication with the ground], and we were a very calm, cool crew during that," he said, adding that "mental toughness and a good frame of mind and a good attitude" were crucial to the mission.

<snip>

Hayley Arceneaux, a 29-year-old cancer survivor who served as Inspiration4's medical officer, had to administer Phenergan shots — an antihistamine used to treat motion sickness to combat nausea, Isaacman said.

The comms issues were likely NASA TDRSS dropouts, not a new problem. Musk stated after Inspiration4 Dragon will be getting StarLink capability. Starship already has it. It'll also get an oven for warming meals.

Nausea was almost a certainty. Medicine will be a regular thing for passenger space flights.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser