Thread: What is Antare's habitable zone?

What is Antare's habitable zone?

For an earth-sized planet? Sorry. Just need it for some worldbuilding.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Square root of the bolometric luminosity of the star, times whatever boundaries of the solar habitable zone you care to adopt.
    Trying to do any better than that seems futile, given the range of bolometric luminosities I see quoted for Antares.
    So, square root of anything between 65,000 and 100,000.

Grant Hutchison

So, between 250 and 315 AU? Given Antares's mass, what would its orbital period be?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Period squared varies inversely with mass and directly with radius cubed.

Grant Hutchison

Also note that Antares is only 10-20 million years old so any planets will be very primordial. It took much longer than that for Earth to cool down enough to have water present.

I know. I didn't create this world. Someone else did. Thankfully it's a colony, not a native world, so presumably terraforming was involved.

Stephen Colbert.

What would it be like to be on this planet? I am picturing Antares looking like a little round burning cloud, fuzzy or blurry on the limb, and the sky looking brownish gray. Shadows would also be less distinct than on Earth at the edges.
    Right?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS