Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why did we stop wearing digital watches and velcro shoes?

3D-TV? Heck, I'm old enough to remember quadrophonic sound!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Why did we stop wearing digital watches and velcro shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    As am I, although my older brother owned the system.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I remember it too and it has come back. It is now called 4.0 surround sound. Heck, all the surround sound configurations are variations on the same idea.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I remember it too and it has come back. It is now called 4.0 surround sound. Heck, all the surround sound configurations are variations on the same idea.
    It’s a shame we only have two ears! Although we sense low frequencies through our bodies. My grandfather went to a theatre in London, 120 years ago, where they vibrated the seats at the dramatic moment. Bring that back!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It’s a shame we only have two ears! Although we sense low frequencies through our bodies. My grandfather went to a theatre in London, 120 years ago, where they vibrated the seats at the dramatic moment. Bring that back!
    It actually seems quite miraculous to me how much we can tell with just two ears. Apparently we can tell whether a sound is coming from the left or right by the time the sound arrives at each ear (plus the fact that the skull absorbs some of the higher frequencies, so that there is a slight change in the sound). And what I found really interesting is that apparently when a sound is coming directly from in front or behind us (so that there is no gap between the ears), we reflexively turn our head slightly to create a gap so that we can tell if it's coming from the front or back.
    As above, so below

My grandfather went to a theatre in London, 120 years ago, where they vibrated the seats at the dramatic moment. Bring that back!
    I think I experienced that more recently. There was a Disneyland ride that used vibrating seats (or maybe the whole stage), though apparently it doesn't exist anymore. I rode it at Tokyo Disneyland a long time ago, but not 120 years ago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey,...k_the_Audience!
    As above, so below

Itís a shame we only have two ears! Although we sense low frequencies through our bodies. My grandfather went to a theatre in London, 120 years ago, where they vibrated the seats at the dramatic moment. Bring that back!
    I saw the movie Midway in Sensurround circa 1976. Although that seems like 120 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I saw the movie Midway in Sensurround circa 1976. Although that seems like 120 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround
    I don't remember very clearly, but I may have seen that as well. I definitely think I saw the pilot of Battlestar Galactica, which also used Sensurround. And it's possible that I saw Earthquake, but those movies were released when I was like 12, 13, or 14 years old, so my memory is a bit faded...
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It actually seems quite miraculous to me how much we can tell with just two ears. Apparently we can tell whether a sound is coming from the left or right by the time the sound arrives at each ear (plus the fact that the skull absorbs some of the higher frequencies, so that there is a slight change in the sound). And what I found really interesting is that apparently when a sound is coming directly from in front or behind us (so that there is no gap between the ears), we reflexively turn our head slightly to create a gap so that we can tell if it's coming from the front or back.
    Ears never cease to amaze, nor to communicate to the “old” brain even when we are asleep. Then the cocktail party effect where we can focus on a speaker despite the confusing sound level. As soon as you use microphones you realise how much we filter out in normal listening. Not just when drinking cocktails.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Back during the late stages of the Roman Empire, I watched an Alfredo Hitchcock film in 3-D in a theatre. Only one I've ever seen that way.
    Only one he ever made that way!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

For a sound coming from the side, and a 7" wide head, it takes about 12ms for a sound to move from ear to ear. At 30 meters per second, it only takes neurons 6ms for a signal to travel ear to ear. That leaves plenty of time for calculating a sound's source, especially if your hardware is set up to do just that.
    BTW, I still wear velcro shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    For a sound coming from the side, and a 7" wide head, it takes about 12ms for a sound to move from ear to ear. At 30 meters per second, it only takes neurons 6ms for a signal to travel ear to ear. That leaves plenty of time for calculating a sound's source, especially if your hardware is set up to do just that.
    BTW, I still wear velcro shoes.
    Hi Squink,

At about 1125 ft/sec through air, It take sound about 7/12 X 1/1125 = 0.5 mSec to travel 7", not 12 mSec.

Cheers,

Sadly, this clip doesn't have the reply:

Alice Kramden: Are you waiting for 3D refrigerators, too?