Thread: Dark Matter and hidden dimensions

Dark Matter and hidden dimensions

If I understand, string theory says there may be about a dozen dimensions, most of which are imperceptible to humans. Is anyone considering, or has the idea already been rejected that Dark Matter cannot be found because it is bound to those other hidden dimensions? Like the matter we can perceive, both effect gravity. And we are having issues understanding gravity because we're only getting half the picture.

Yup - there is an offshoot of string theory looking at 'brane and bulk' cosmological models. In some of these dark matter is either matter in our universe for which gravity is 'leaking' into our area across the bulk or matter in other branes. There are some versions of this where dark matter is actually a side effect of the way the brane is embedded in the bulk.

The problem is that so far all of these ideas have been untestable/falsifiable, as is string theory more generally.

Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brane_cosmology

There are also a few speculative models where dark matter isn't matter - it is an effect of these smaller dimensions. They have the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Armstrong View Post
    If I understand, string theory says there may be about a dozen dimensions, most of which are imperceptible to humans. Is anyone considering, or has the idea already been rejected that Dark Matter cannot be found because it is bound to those other hidden dimensions? Like the matter we can perceive, both effect gravity. And we are having issues understanding gravity because we're only getting half the picture.
    Here ya go!:

[link removed]
    Last edited by Jim; 2021-Mar-21 at 04:19 PM. Reason: ATM in Q&A

Interesting link

Warren Platts, you were warned in another Q&A thread that "Q&A is for providing mainstream science answers to questions. If you want to speculate, use another forum (S&T?). If you want to push something not mainstream, go use ATM."

The link you posted is to an ATM concept. That warrants an infraction and suspension.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Thank you for the feedback. I have the curiosity, but net the training. Its so nice to communicate with someone who can take my musings seriously and give directions to go for more info.
    As part ojf this, I wonder if Quantum Entanglement is an issue of a particle is mostly hidden within those hidden dimensions. All we can observe is the endpoints in our dimensions that behave as two entangled particle, but not the hidden portion that behaves like a wave. No information exceeding the speed of light is necessary because anything you do to one endpoint is felt instantaneously through the hidden portion to the other endpoint.

Thank you for the feedback. I have the curiosity, but net the training. Its so nice to communicate with someone who can take my musings seriously and give directions to go for more info.
    As part ojf this, I wonder if Quantum Entanglement is an issue of a particle is mostly hidden within those hidden dimensions. All we can observe is the endpoints in our dimensions that behave as two entangled particle, but not the hidden portion that behaves like a wave. No information exceeding the speed of light is necessary because anything you do to one endpoint is felt instantaneously through the hidden portion to the other endpoint.
    It's certainly a possibility to consider.

As with all other speculative ideas regarding lower dimensional structure or substrates, it's not a testable theory since we "surface" beings only have access to the three space and one time that we operate in. It's similar to the question of "what came before the Big Bang" or "what's outside the Universe"... Since space and time in our Universe started with the BB, there's effectively no "before" and no "outside" to examine.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

That would be difficult because we can 'pass on' entangled properties from particle to particle. You can create two entangled particles (A and B) and then entangle one of them (lets pick A) with another particle (C). This entangles B and C. So then you have two particles that have never 'met' but have an entanglement. Seems to argue for it being a property of particles, not a projection of some hidden object. (This process is taken further in Quantum Teleportation where there are 4 particles and a pair of entangled particles are used to create an entanglement between two particles that have never 'met' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation)

As Noclevername says - all these ideas are worth considering and curiousity is to be encouraged. The real challenge though is to take an idea and work through the ramifications of it to see if it is feasible and testable. That usually involves some self-teaching. Luckily there are so many good resources out there these days that technical subjects have never been so accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    .... That usually involves some self-teaching. Luckily there are so many good resources out there these days that technical subjects have never been so accessible.
    LOL, hey it seems the internet is 9/10 of my brain. If I have a question about what something is or how to do something, viola, it has an answer. Of course I’ve learned not everything I read is true or the best way to do something.
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by DaCaptain View Post
    LOL, hey it seems the internet is 9/10 of my brain. If I have a question about what something is or how to do something, viola, it has an answer. Of course I’ve learned not everything I read is true or the best way to do something.
    Indeed, hence the caveat good. I didn't want to discourage people by saying "of course for every good resource there are half a dozen bad ones"!

That is where a community of interest can be so useful. You can ask for poiinters to learning resources and test what you have learned against other peoples' taught experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCaptain View Post
    ...or how to do something, viola, it has an answer.
    And what have you got against the cello?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)