Thread: Any chance of Fagradalsfjall becoming another Laki?

Any chance of Fagradalsfjall becoming another Laki?

Could we tell if this was in for the long haul?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Context please?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It’s about a volcano near Reykjavik, Iceland. They had earthquakes for weeks, then a nearby volcano erupted for the first time in around 800 years, this happening less than a day ago (middle of last night in my time zone). It has a name I could never remember to spell without a lot of practice. As for the question about Laki, I have no idea.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    As for the question about Laki, I have no idea.
    I believe it is about this Laki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

The question is: Will the Fagradalsfjall fissure volcano on the Reykjanes peninsula erupt for as long as, and be as damaging as, the Laki fissure volcano in the East Volcanic Zone (which was an environmental disaster for Iceland)? I think Van Rijn probably meant he had no idea of the answer to that question, rather than having no idea of what Laki was.
    I guess it would depend on the size of the magma chamber feeding each--despite the very detailed surveys the Icelanders have carried out over the years, that information doesn't seem to be as easy to find as I thought it would be. The volcanic territory of Reykjanes is a lot smaller than the East Volcanic Zone, though, if that's any guide.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    The Icelanders are used to Earthquakes but the frequency and violence has exceeded experience, and the crust there is only about one kilometer thick, I read. It is more like a magma lake than a cone volcano, but despite the extensive instrumentation, the next stage remains mysterious. It could be big or small for Iceland and the surroundings.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

And now it may be over, or not!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The question is: Will the Fagradalsfjall fissure volcano on the Reykjanes peninsula erupt for as long as, and be as damaging as, the Laki fissure volcano in the East Volcanic Zone (which was an environmental disaster for Iceland)? I think Van Rijn probably meant he had no idea of the answer to that question, rather than having no idea of what Laki was.
    Yes, that was my intention. I don’t know enough geology in general, let alone the specific geology involved to discuss the question itself. But I was rushing a little and could have used a few more words to explain that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I read somewhere https://www.icelandreview.com/news ? that the magma chamber associated with Fagradalsfjall is small. So no major eruption spewing HFl. Of course, these early on reports tend to be a little dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    I read somewhere https://www.icelandreview.com/news ? that the magma chamber associated with Fagradalsfjall is small. So no major eruption spewing HFl. Of course, these early on reports tend to be a little dubious.
    True, but you have to wonder how a small magma chamber got there! Is its source now an open pipe ? Two tectonic plates moving apart under Iceland, they say. But that’s why Iceland is there. Just getting bigger.
    sicut vis videre esto