Thread: Sometimes extinction is not forever: Lazarus taxons article

Sometimes extinction is not forever: Lazarus taxons article

This is pretty good. The return of "extinct" species: Lazarus taxons

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-ret...tinct-species/
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Well, extinction is forever. A species that becomes so rare it's not observed in the wild for a while is, you know, not actually extinct.

Calling the coelacanth a Lazarus taxon is like suggesting that Jesus merely found out that Lazarus had actually been away on holiday for a while with a dodgy internet connection. "He guys, he's not dead, I've just got an email from an internet cafe in Damascus!"

Grant Hutchison

Heh. Mark Twain and "The report of my death was an exaggeration" comes to mind.

The article mentions the black-footed ferret. Coincidentally, I had just read short blurb about the cloning of one in December and that this was going to help with genetic diversity of the species. "What, how is that possible?", I thought.

Well, it turns out that all of the reintroductions come from descendants of seven captured wild ferrets. But some frozen cells of another who had no surviving offspring were cloned. If this cloned ferret survives to breeding age, that would introduce new diversity to the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Heh. Mark Twain and "The report of my death was an exaggeration" comes to mind.

The article mentions the black-footed ferret. Coincidentally, I had just read short blurb about the cloning of one in December and that this was going to help with genetic diversity of the species. "What, how is that possible?", I thought.

Well, it turns out that all of the reintroductions come from descendants of seven captured wild ferrets. But some frozen cells of another who had no surviving offspring were cloned. If this cloned ferret survives to breeding age, that would introduce new diversity to the population.
    So, perhaps “Twain Taxon” would be a better name? ;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    So, perhaps “Twain Taxon” would be a better name? ;-)

I remembered the Twain story, and almost mentioned it before I got carried away on my "Lazarus is just wrong" riff, but never made that final connection.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

I remembered the Twain story, and almost mentioned it before I got carried away on my "Lazarus is just wrong" riff, but never made that final connection.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, it's the better expression. I'll remember who coined it, Kai! I never seem to be able to make those connections.

“Twain Taxon”
    :like:

It's even got alliteration!
    Orion's Arm has actual Lazarus Taxa, and they pride themselves on their technology being at least remotely plausible.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS