Thread: Latest Starship Prototype SN11 Explodes in mid-air, Raining Debris on the Launch Site

Latest Starship Prototype SN11 Explodes in mid-air, Raining Debris on the Launch Site

SpaceX just conducted its fourth high-altitude flight test with a Starship prototype (SN11). Once again, there was a slight explosion!
    The post Latest Starship Prototype SN11 Explodes in mid-air, Raining Debris on the Launch Site appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

SpaceX expects to conduct a full-fledged Starship orbital launch in July, and the first manned Starship mission is planned for 2023 - a tourist delegation led by Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa will travel around the moon.

You know, it seems to me if they rebranded as a fireworks business, they could claim this as a success.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Shame about the fog, though.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by cannongray View Post
    SpaceX expects to conduct a full-fledged Starship orbital launch in July, and the first manned Starship mission is planned for 2023 - a tourist delegation led by Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa will travel around the moon.
    I'll assume that estimate is from Elon but could be from anyone. Here is a previous estimate of when starship would be in orbit ~Mar. 2020
    https://www.space.com/spacex-starshi...3mTqEo6_9ijjjs

I realize that Covid may have slowed the work, however it is a full year after and Starship has yet to make a successful sub-orbital flight/landing. Scott Manley dubbed this "Elon Time" and I suspect further extensions will occur. I am eagerly anticipating when SpaceX gets its first orbital/landing accomplished, but July seems a bit ambitious.

I don’t know if he is the first to coin the term “Elon Time.” It’s not a new issue.

Anyway when I first heard Elon’s estimate, I predicted it would be more like 2025. That would still be very fast for a large new rocket, let alone a large new revolutionary rocket. Though to be fair, there is a difference between getting it in orbit and getting the details worked out - it’a not as hard if you don’t try to recover the stages.

My feeling is that SpaceX has had a good track record and has been really fast compared to old space companies, just not as fast as Elon would like.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser