Thread: Why are Ceres's poles 50 C colder than its equator, when it has no axial tilt?

Why are Ceres's poles 50 C colder than its equator, when it has no axial tilt?

I've been looking for an answer, and haven't found one.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Isn't it because it has no (that is, a very small) axial tilt?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Isn't it because it has no (that is, a very small) axial tilt?
    That would be my expectation. Always a low angle of sunlight and a good number of crater bottoms in permanent darkness.

Here, one pole is in complete darkness, the other shows a good number of craters with large dark areas:

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resourc...t-ceres-poles/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

At the equator, a beam of sunlight one square unit in area strikes an equal area of Ceres' surface. With no axial tilt, the sun will rise to a maximum of 45 degrees above the horizon at a point halfway between the equator and either pole. At this latitude, at noon, a square unit of sunlight is spread out over an area ~41% larger, or put another way, a unit of surface there receives just 1/1.414 = ~71% of the light as at the equator. And ever less towards the poles, and more to the equator.

Of course, I've assumed Ceres shape is a sphere. Maybe it's an oblate spheroid.