Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Coalsack's future

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,178

    Coalsack's future

    Will the Coalsack condense into a star cluster? Or is there some reason it can't?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Will the Coalsack condense into a star cluster? Or is there some reason it can't?
    No. I think partly because it's primarily made of dust and not hydrogen gas.

    CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"


    lonelybirder.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,743
    Statement from the European Southern Observatory, a few years ago:

    Millions of years in the future the Coalsack’s dark days will come to an end. Thick interstellar clouds like the Coalsack contain lots of dust and gas — the fuel for new stars. As the stray material in the Coalsack coalesces under the mutual attraction of gravity, stars will eventually light up, and the coal “nuggets” in the Coalsack will "combust", almost as if touched by a flame.
    (From a search on the terms coalsack, nebula and future, and then a click on the first hit from an actual astronomical organization, rather than a science news aggregator site. Isn't the internet wonderful?)

    Grant Hutchison

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,178
    I looked up some references for the Coalsack, but didn’t think of including ‘future’.
    Thanks.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,424
    Shades of The Gripping Hand. They use a Coalsack ignition as a major plot device.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    I looked up some references for the Coalsack, but didn’t think of including ‘future’.
    Thanks.
    It's all in the search terms. (And you used the word "future" in your post title, which shows you were at least unconsciously aware of its importance.)

    I was recently disappointed to discover that schoolchildren in my neck of the woods still seem to be given no education in appropriate choice of search terms, and instead seem to be encouraged to use natural language searches. That's at best a premature reliance on the ability of Google and its competitors to parse natural language into meaningful search terms, and at worst a recipe for wasted time and frustration.

    Grant Hutchison

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,178
    stars will eventually light up, and the coal “nuggets” in the Coalsack will "combust", almost as if touched by a flame.

    BTW, I assume this is a very loose analogy, and they do not actually oxidize :-)
    Do they mean radiation pressure driving the dust away?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Do they mean radiation pressure driving the dust away?
    Smoke from the fire, metaphorically and visually.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,740
    Ok, so I apologize for giving incorrect information. I saw the main descriptor as "dust" and no immediate mention of gas. Live and learn.

    CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"


    lonelybirder.org

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    stars will eventually light up, and the coal “nuggets” in the Coalsack will "combust", almost as if touched by a flame.

    BTW, I assume this is a very loose analogy, and they do not actually oxidize :-)
    Do they mean radiation pressure driving the dust away?
    It's just a metaphor, albeit a laboured and clunky one.
    Coal-sacks contain coal, which is put on coal fires and burns.
    The Coalsack Nebula contains gas and dust which will eventually end up inside new stars, and stars are often said to "burn nuclear fuel".

    Grant Hutchison

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,743
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Ok, so I apologize for giving incorrect information. I saw the main descriptor as "dust" and no immediate mention of gas. Live and learn.
    Sorry, my post comes over as rude. That wasn't my intention.
    Dark nebulae like the Coalsack contain a lot of hydrogen, and are classic birthplaces (another one of those damn metaphors) for stars. See this description at the University of Oregon, for instance.

    Grant Hutchison

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Sorry, my post comes over as rude. That wasn't my intention.
    Dark nebulae like the Coalsack contain a lot of hydrogen, and are classic birthplaces (another one of those damn metaphors) for stars. See this description at the University of Oregon, for instance.

    Grant Hutchison
    You didn't come across as rude at all. I am feeling mildly rueful I did not get complete information before answering the question. I'm grateful to you and others for coming in with the facts.

    CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"


    lonelybirder.org

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,899
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's all in the search terms. (And you used the word "future" in your post title, which shows you were at least unconsciously aware of its importance.)

    I was recently disappointed to discover that schoolchildren in my neck of the woods still seem to be given no education in appropriate choice of search terms, and instead seem to be encouraged to use natural language searches. That's at best a premature reliance on the ability of Google and its competitors to parse natural language into meaningful search terms, and at worst a recipe for wasted time and frustration.

    Grant Hutchison
    That is true and having been searching a while, it is more than disappointing that Google now offers up advertisements and sponsored sites. In my experience it used to be a good search engine. But your point is very relevant, you have to choose words or phrases to play the system. The information is there behind the commerce.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,178
    The article says this will take "millions of years".
    Any guess as to how many megayears? Two? Five? Ten?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,743
    Considerably more than that, I'd guess.
    The Coalsack is relatively quiescent at present, with only a few hints of potential star forming regions.

    Grant Hutchison

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,292
    How long does Tapia Globule 2 have left to become a star?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •