Thread: Question about a word

Question about a word

I was reading an article about Biden's science budget proposal, and there is a section that reads:

The Department of Energy’s Office of Science would grow by $400 million, to $7.4 billion. There is no breakout for its major programs cutting across the physical and natural sciences.
    I have never seen the word "breakout" used like that, and was wondering what it means. It is used later in the same article, so it must have some meaning in budgeting. Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Jens; 2021-Apr-12 at 04:41 AM.
    As above, so below

I expect it means there is no break out of the details of what the spending is directed to in the statement. I’ve seen that referred to as a breakout or breakdown. Incidentally, in your post you have what looks like an internet link, but it just contains text.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Incidentally, in your post you have what looks like an internet link, but it just contains text.
    Thanks. I fixed it.
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I agree that metaphorically, breakout should mean “losing constraint and suddenly. “ Here is seems to mean “no change in relative priorities” or it could mean breakdown in the sense of no news about how the increase will be distributed, in which case breakdown is more understandable.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I would have thought "breakout" was more familiar to folks as I'm used to seeing it and I'm usually the last on the list.

Anyway, "breakout" as "break the details out of the overall report," usually just by listing.

"Breakdown" implies providing details on the breakout.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Thanks. As a clarification, I asked the writer and he confirmed that it means to be listed separately, so just as Van Rijn and Jim explained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Thanks. As a clarification, I asked the writer and he confirmed that it means to be listed separately, so just as Van Rijn and Jim explained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting, an American usage I had not encountered, but it might also be corporate speak, like the older, “scoping”
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Interesting, an American usage I had not encountered, but it might also be corporate speak, like the older, “scoping”
    I hear "breakout" frequently, but I work for a corporation in America, so i don't know if it is American usage, corporate usage, or both.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The lack of a breakout was noteworthy there because some departments' budgets do get broken down by Congress, which makes those departments unable to shift money from one project to another. The Department of Defense, for example, does not get one large allocation of money for its total expenses. Congress assigns this much to this type of plane, that much to that type of tank, this much to the buildings & landscaping on bases, that much to recruiting, and so on. I once imagined the idea of a President diverting money from various other things to the Corps of Engineers for work on things like dams & bridges on American land, but that kind of transfer would require Congressional action, not just an executive order, because the amounts for both the CoE and wherever else it would come from are already written into the budget as Congress already passed it. So what they're saying about the Department of Science is that it does not have that constraint; the DoS would be free to assign its own money wherever it wants because Congress is not telling it how it must be divided up.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The lack of a breakout was noteworthy there because some departments' budgets do get broken down by Congress, which makes those departments unable to shift money from one project to another. The Department of Defense, for example, does not get one large allocation of money for its total expenses. Congress assigns this much to this type of plane, that much to that type of tank, this much to the buildings & landscaping on bases, that much to recruiting, and so on. I once imagined the idea of a President diverting money from various other things to the Corps of Engineers for work on things like dams & bridges on American land, but that kind of transfer would require Congressional action, not just an executive order, because the amounts for both the CoE and wherever else it would come from are already written into the budget as Congress already passed it. So what they're saying about the Department of Science is that it does not have that constraint; the DoS would be free to assign its own money wherever it wants because Congress is not telling it how it must be divided up.
    My understanding of what the Biden Administration just released is sort of a budget outline, and not a formal budget proposal, which would be much more detailed (the article Jens linked to described it as a "list of priorities"). The formal proposal would come later this year, and of course, what Congress finally approves and the President signs may be very different yet.

Now I'm going to put on my moderator hat. No problems yet, but let's not get into a discussion of what the US President can do, or more particularly, should do, with regard to the budget, or to diverting funds within an approved budget. Thanks,
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The lack of a breakout was noteworthy there because some departments' budgets do get broken down by Congress, [...]
    I wouldn't read too much into that. This looks like an out-of-cycle request for discretionary funding. In the normal process of making a budget request, DOE does break it out into line items as shown in their FY21 Budget Request. The linked letter summarizes the President's request, breaking it out to only to the major agency level. The letter concludes with, "We look forward to submitting the President’s Budget with additional detail in the months ahead. I'm pretty sure a breakout will be available then.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)