Thread: From the Director's Keyboard: Back to the 80s!

Exclamation From the Director's Keyboard: Back to the 80s!

Right now, the core team of content creators, science types, and moderators here at CosmoQuest is having far more fun then we could have imagined planning out this year's CosmoQuest-a-Con.

2021 is the 40th anniversary of the first Space Shuttle flight and also of the Voyager 2 fly-by of Saturn. I was seven that year and transitioned from first grade to second, and these two missions played a huge role in shaping who I would become. As a whole, the Shuttle, the outer solar system with Voyager, IMAX movies including the iconic "The Dream is Alive," and countless amazing science fiction movies, shows, and books. There was a whole lot wrong with the 80s: the Cold War, the HIV epidemic, Challenger, and so much hate of other. But there was also a lot that brought us joy. This con is going to celebrate the discoveries and the joy.

This week we're going to start sending out guest invitations and planning contests and events. As we learn things, we'll share them out with you. Like last year, all main stage events will be free on Twitch.tv/CosmoQuestX, and we're also going to have a second stage, vendor rooms, and artists, as well as games and contests all in an event-specific Discord you'll need tickets to access. For those who want to get a little more content, and a lot of behind the scenes, we are also offering backstage passes to the event.

I want to hear your laughter (or at least see your laughter emotes in text chat). Please mark you calendars: July 16-18 is CosmoQuest-a-Con 2021. Let's party like Max Headroom and celebrate science.

In love and science,
    Pamela

Click here to view the entire CosmoQuest Newsletter.

That sounds, uh, totally radical!

(Maybe more 90s?)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That sounds, uh, totally radical!

(Maybe more 90s?)
    It sounds totally cool.
    As above, so below

How about putting these Director’s Keyboard posts in a single thread?

Just a thought - there are now thirteen separate Director’s Keyboard threads, and they are weekly. Within a year there would be 52 more. They are already dominating the threads in this section. How about putting them in a single thread, even if just for the posts from prior weeks?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Just a thought - there are now thirteen separate Director’s Keyboard threads, and they are weekly. Within a year there would be 52 more. They are already dominating the threads in this section. How about putting them in a single thread, even if just for the posts from prior weeks?
    I totally understand, but there has been recurring feedback that Pamela had been "absent" and not present in the forum. This is her attempt at keeping everyone in the loop and having a presence here. I am not sure that replying to an existing thread is the answer, but I am open to suggestions as to where else we can post this information.

Let us think about this.

Nancy