Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will we ever stop using paper?

In many older literary Sci Fi settings, there's passing references to paper substitute(s) called a "flimsy", presumed to be some type of printable plastic. In some cases it's recycled by clearing off the ink for reuse, or even melting down the plastic to make new flimsies.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It is hard to do Origami with fax paper, and it is very poor as toilet paper or for wrapping delicate objects. Too thin for wall paper, and quite wrong for rolling cigarettes. Not the best for any archive use, and rarely used for newsprint. Poor to recycle but quite good for faxes. Of all the papers, maybe fax paper is doomed.
    Fax paper is still a thing? They had plain paper faxes in the 90s.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In many older literary Sci Fi settings, there's passing references to paper substitute(s) called a "flimsy", presumed to be some type of printable plastic. In some cases it's recycled by clearing off the ink for reuse, or even melting down the plastic to make new flimsies.
    Flimsies were a real thing--they were the thin sheets of paper you interleaved with carbon paper in order to produce multiple copies using a typewriter.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Fax paper is still a thing? They had plain paper faxes in the 90s.
    Yeah, well I was being flippant. Actually real letter writing with envelopes is set to make a comeback in 2022 with tinted, scented paper and real ink.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Flimsies were a real thing--they were the thin sheets of paper you interleaved with carbon paper in order to produce multiple copies using a typewriter.

Grant Hutchison
    The term is the same, the concept is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I’ve thought it would be a cool idea in an alternate timeline setting to have similar blank plastic newspapers and magazines that you could take to the newsstand, pay, and get wiped and reprinted with the newest edition. You could ask for ones you wanted to save on paper as a souvenir thing.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I’ve thought it would be a cool idea in an alternate timeline setting to have similar blank plastic newspapers and magazines that you could take to the newsstand, pay, and get wiped and reprinted with the newest edition. You could ask for ones you wanted to save on paper as a souvenir thing.
    In John LaValley's "Some Things Survive", there's a "printbinder" that makes permanent bound books of a tough fabric-like medium. Not to survive a fall of civilization, though it ends up doing that, but because it belongs to a super strong heavy-gravity offshoot of humans whose children wreak havok on paper books!

Er, well I consume my periodicals on an ipad, exactly like that. Although I don’t have to go anywhere, they just arrive. It does save paper and indexing too.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Er, well I consume my periodicals on an ipad, exactly like that. Although I don’t have to go anywhere, they just arrive. It does save paper and indexing too.
    And a paper never needs a recharge. So both versions have their pros and cons.

Well, no, if you aren't taking it in to get reprinted but instead viewing it electronically, it would not be "exactly like that", I was imagining it as an alternate-world counterpart to both traditional periodicals on paper and reading periodicals electronically.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Well, no, if you aren't taking it in to get reprinted but instead viewing it electronically, it would not be "exactly like that", I was imagining it as an alternate-world counterpart to both traditional periodicals on paper and reading periodicals electronically.
    Ah, I misunderstood your science fiction scenario.
    sicut vis videre esto

I read books on my phone. They frequently have mistakes in them due to having been scanned and OCR'd from paper.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Where would we be without PostIt Notes? They seem to grow in number over night. They'll never die.
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

I've worked as a software developer/computer programmer for nearly 40 years. In the early days, I worked at a huge desk surrounded by computer printouts, file folders, inter-office memos, and user manuals stuffed into huge ring-binders. Looking at my now tiny desk today, here is a complete list of all the paper I see: one box of tissue and one unused pad of post-it notes.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthGuy View Post
    I've worked as a software developer/computer programmer for nearly 40 years. In the early days, I worked at a huge desk surrounded by computer printouts, file folders, inter-office memos, and user manuals stuffed into huge ring-binders. Looking at my now tiny desk today, here is a complete list of all the paper I see: one box of tissue and one unused pad of post-it notes.
    Sure, in some circumstances and places paper use has been cut or eliminated. In the software business I can see why that would be a good thing. But the OP asks if that situation could be universal.

I think it can't. Many people rely on paper because they don't have electronics, or cannot use electronics in all situations. In some areas of life paper documentation or communication is just more useful or convenient.

Will we be using less paper in the future? Yes. Will it go away? No.