Thread: is planet #9 needed or can a close pass by a star do it ?

is planet #9 needed or can a close pass by a star do it ?

it was said the outer planets did not follow a expected orbit because an other unknown mass was effecting them
    that was the listed explanation for the search for Neptune and pluto at the time they were found

was that a flawed mr N based math idea or does mr E's relative revisions also produce an extra mass out there needed to explain the orbits

and would the close passing of a star be a good solution to the orbits problem without extra planets needed ?
    or is the only solution an other planet out there ?

We've got a Planet Nine thread, it covers the general possibilities pretty well.

The current consensus is that it's a transient concentration of mass from the comets moving around in the outer Solar System. No planets or close-passing stars have ever been found there.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

yes I have read the #9 thread

I still do not understand if the orbit problem is a one time effect like a close star passing by
    or needs an existing mass that has a constant input like a bound planet would have

AFAIK the close passing star hypothesis has been ruled out. No passing stars fit the time frame of when the orbits would have been affected.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright