Thread: Michael Collins passes away

Michael Collins passes away

CBS News
    Astronaut Michael Collins, one of the three members of the successful Apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969, died Wednesday after battling cancer, his family said in a statement posted to Twitter. He was 90.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Man another one gone. RIP Mike

I recently read his book on the Gemini and Apollo programs. Very enlightening. He was a remarkable man.

Michael Collins passes away

He also had a very strong sense of humor. If you watch video of the Apollo 11 astronauts leaving the preparation area and entering the van for the short trip to the pad, you’ll see Collins carrying a paper bag.

https://mobile.twitter.com/astromcol...227072?lang=en

Michael Collins
    @AstroMCollins
    Traditionally, crews gave a going away gift to Gunther Wendt. He loved to brag about the huge trout he caught, so I chose the smallest trout I could find, nailed it to a piece of wood and labeled it Gunther’s Trophy Trout.
    Yep. He took a dead fish to the pad.

:-(
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    He also had a very strong sense of humor. ...
    Yes. He also suggested to Armstrong that when he stepped off the lander, he should say something like "Wait, what is that thing!", then scream and cut his mic.

Sorry to hear of his passing. I guess this just leaves us with Buzz Aldrin at 91. I was hoping at least one of them would still be with us when another human being set foot on the moon, but it doesn't look promising.

damn, RIP

They posted a vid on his twitter, I've got the world in my window....the weather's very good, he can see from Seattle Washington to Tierra del Fuego
    reply - sounds like you got a beautiful view up there

Well he lived almost 60 years longer than the other Michael Collins.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

When Michael Collins disagreed with Jeff Bezos
    https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...s-6833161.html

Michael Collins, who passed away on April 28 at age 90, and was the third astronaut of the historic Apollo 11 mission in 1969, welcomed the involvement of Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in space matters. But he did not like the idea of treating the moon as a place to move all the manufacturing to.
    “I welcome people like Bezos and Musk getting involved. I know Bezos a little bit, served on a panel with him. A big admirer of him. But I disagree with him when it comes to exploration,” Collins said in an interview with Popular Mechanics in 2019. “He fundamentally says that this Earth of ours...we are doing so many bad things to it that he wants to take manufacturing and move it to the moon. Then, we will have a little garden here where we will be much purer in our endeavours and take care of our planet. I like the concept of a garden, but I don’t want to import my car from the moon.”

NASA Remembers Apollo Astronaut Michael Collins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mnpHvK8yM

Quote Originally Posted by Launch window View Post
    When Michael Collins disagreed with Jeff Bezos
    https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...s-6833161.html

“I welcome people like Bezos and Musk getting involved. I know Bezos a little bit, served on a panel with him. A big admirer of him. But I disagree with him when it comes to exploration,” Collins said in an interview with Popular Mechanics in 2019. “He fundamentally says that this Earth of ours...we are doing so many bad things to it that he wants to take manufacturing and move it to the moon. Then, we will have a little garden here where we will be much purer in our endeavours and take care of our planet. I like the concept of a garden, but I don’t want to import my car from the moon.”
    With the current rocket technology, even a perfect Starship, the whole concept of moving our manufacturing to the moon to keep the earth clean is unrealistic and flawed. With our current manufacturing processes, which tend to require loads of water for many things, same. The most polluting manufacturing tends to require loads of air. I think Mr Collins was right to doubt the whole idea.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.