Thread: Space Force Chief Scientist says “Human Augmentation” is Now Necessary

Space Force Chief Scientist says “Human Augmentation” is Now Necessary

I can't see super-soldiers or Cybermen as near-future accomplishments. There's a great deal of development time before any medical procedure becomes mainstream, let alone stuff that affects the brain directly. It'll still be experimental for a long time to come, even assuming it doesn't join fusion power and flying cars in the perpetual "only 10/20/30 years away" file.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I can't see super-soldiers or Cybermen as near-future accomplishments. There's a great deal of development time before any medical procedure becomes mainstream, let alone stuff that affects the brain directly. It'll still be experimental for a long time to come, even assuming it doesn't join fusion power and flying cars in the perpetual "only 10/20/30 years away" file.
    I think the military emphasis is not on improving humans but on adding AI and that does seem well under way. That is what Musk is warning about, and I guess especially in military terms. It is not so new; flying fast near the ground has used technology for decades to add to pilot skills, and guided weapons are basically AI. External skeletons with actuators are here and commercial, head up displays getting better but have been around for years too. Whether we should want it or oppose it becomes the issue, and unfortunately, the argument that “they” are doing it, so we must too, is both appealing and can be manipulated. If we listen to Einstein, ordinary folk had better brush up their sticks and stones skills. Now if there is an improved empathy gene virus, bring it on!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I think the military emphasis is not on improving humans but on adding AI and that does seem well under way. That is what Musk is warning about, and I guess especially in military terms. It is not so new; flying fast near the ground has used technology for decades to add to pilot skills, and guided weapons are basically AI. External skeletons with actuators are here and commercial, head up displays getting better but have been around for years too. Whether we should want it or oppose it becomes the issue, and unfortunately, the argument that “they” are doing it, so we must too, is both appealing and can be manipulated. If we listen to Einstein, ordinary folk had better brush up their sticks and stones skills. Now if there is an improved empathy gene virus, bring it on!
    Dr. Mozer spoke specifically about brain-computer interface, a technology in its infancy. For it to become reliable enough to trust soldiers' lives on the battlefield, it'll have to be far more developed than it is today, and that means lots of human experimentation, a process that usually goes slowly due to the ethics and risks of deep brain surgery.

I suspect medical patients with disabilities or brain/spine damage will be where the technological advancement advances the most quickly, but not that quickly. At present applications remain relatively imprecise. For combat uses it'll likely remain experimental for a long time. Compare laser cannons, which have existed for decades but they're still not practical in widespread use.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright