Thread: We Could Detect Extraterrestrial Satellite Megaconstellations Within a few Hundred Li

We Could Detect Extraterrestrial Satellite Megaconstellations Within a few Hundred Li

If an alien civilization has a Starlink-like constellation of satellites, we might be able to find them.
    The post We Could Detect Extraterrestrial Satellite Megaconstellations Within a few Hundred Light-Years appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

From the article.... in reference to the kardashev scale "Type I uses energy on a global scale, By some estimates, Earth is roughly at level 0.7", that estimate is VERY generous IMO. Lat time I looked we get less than 15% of our energy from renewable resources.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    From the article.... in reference to the kardashev scale "Type I uses energy on a global scale, By some estimates, Earth is roughly at level 0.7", that estimate is VERY generous IMO. Lat time I looked we get less than 15% of our energy from renewable resources.
    I don't think the K scale was made to measure sustainability, just total energy budget use. That probably means energy collected from current input, and energy collected over geological time as fossil fuels.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yes but type I civilization is defined as "A civilization that can use and store ALL of the energy available on its planet"..... we've barely begun to tap the potential solar, tidal, wind and geothermal energy sources that we have available on Earth, let alone 70% that ranking us as a .7 would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Yes but type I civilization is defined as "A civilization that can use and store ALL of the energy available on its planet"..... we've barely begun to tap the potential solar, tidal, wind and geothermal energy sources that we have available on Earth, let alone 70% that ranking us as a .7 would indicate.
    Fossil fuels are energy gathered and concentrated over millions of years, that's why they're still our primary source, because they're more energy dense than renewable sources. We have (or had) a massive backlog of solar/bio energy stored underground, that's what enabled our industrial revolution. Sadly not without consequence, but that's also not measured by the scale. All that fossil fuel adds up to the majority of energy we've used so far in our industrialized time frame.

As far as wind, solar, and geothermal, the former two are widely but thinly distributed. Gathering and concentrating that energy for storage and transport is hard, it's all converted to electricity or heat, not a substance that can be shipped and/or piped. Getting solar and wind to a useful stage is still inefficient using current technologies. It's interest, not savings.

Geothermal is only useful in certain limited areas, too uncommon for it to be a major player worldwide.

As we use more power 0.7 may change; whether using a larger percentage of our world's energy is good or bad is a topic for another thread. But for now 70% of our total energy budget used seems like a reasonable estimate IMO.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright