Thread: How to identify non-intelligent life

How to identify non-intelligent life

Intelligent life in exoplanets can be identified by dyson sphere, structures, lights etc. How to identify complex but non-intelligent life ? [Light coming from life giving elements ( oxygen, water etc) will indicate there may be life but will not confirm it.]

Well, large amounts of reactive chemicals detected by spectroscope means there's something there using energy to un-react them. It could be life using photosynthesis. But some natural processes such as photodissociation can also release such reactive substances, so we have to make sure to take those into account while measuring. Free oxygen, for instance (O2), can occur naturally without life as ultraviolet light splits H2O into its components.

Other chemical signatures can be more subtle or hard to identify; witness the recent flap over phosphine on Venus.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Hmm. . . .

Postng on Facebook and Twtter?

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Postng on Facebook and Twtter?
    LOL, I agree, idiots abound here on earth.

But seriously, animals are fairly intelligent and some do build structures or produce their own light. Exactly what kind of non-intelligent life is the inquisitive one looking for?
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

Given the reference to exoplanets and Dyson spheres in the OP, I assumed Veyron meant detecting life over interstellar distances via telescopes from Earth.

Structures such as coral reefs or bioluminescent life covering a large area might become detectable soon using high resolution optical arrays. At present we cannot see with enough precision to determine surface details of a planet or moon.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Based on the Copernican principle which states that the Earth is not unique and that there must be planets with similar conditions, and therefore, nothing prevents the origin of life and even intelligence in other places in the Universe.