Thread: Energy amplifier

Energy amplifier

Upon reading about the subject, I found an article dating back from 2006:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060903...e.com/node/348

Any more recent news on the subject?

Where did energy amplifier come from? The article is just about Thorium Reactors. They are, to the best of my knowledge, still at the development stage. And not being developed a whole lot because most coutries are looking to move away from nuclear, not use more of it. Thorium reactors still produce nuclear waste, it still needs to be stored, it can still pollute. I think India was the last country I heard was still considering it as a big part of a possible future power solution. They were building a test reactor at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Where did energy amplifier come from? The article is just about Thorium Reactors. They are, to the best of my knowledge, still at the development stage. And not being developed a whole lot because most coutries are looking to move away from nuclear, not use more of it. Thorium reactors still produce nuclear waste, it still needs to be stored, it can still pollute. I think India was the last country I heard was still considering it as a big part of a possible future power solution. They were building a test reactor at one point.
    Ok thanks. That's a link referred to by Wikipedia on Energy Amplifiers.

It looks like Molten Salts is more promising for a portable and safe energy generator:
    https://www.terrestrialenergy.com/technology/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Where did energy amplifier come from?
    It’s another name for an accelerator driven subcritical reactor, which fits well with thorium since you either need fissile uranium and/or plutonium or an accelerator to use thorium in a reactor.

I think India was the last country I heard was still considering it as a big part of a possible future power solution. They were building a test reactor at one point.
    Not just India, I believe, but they are especially interested in thorium because they have a lot of it, but not so much uranium. I believe they are researching both accelerator driven reactors and mixed fuel reactors for thorium use.

philippeb8, google “accelerator driven subcritical reactor” for more information on the concept and add “thorium” for information on the thorium variant. Most development work has been done on uranium fission reactors, so thorium fission reactors have remained in the research stage since they started building them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

philippeb8, just to be clear, the only way to amplify energy is to add more energy to it. It's like calling a fire hose a "water amplifier".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Ok thanks. That's a link referred to by Wikipedia on Energy Amplifiers.

It looks like Molten Salts is more promising for a portable and safe energy generator:
    https://www.terrestrialenergy.com/technology/
    A number of concepts for lower risk and lower cost reactors have been and still are being looked at. I think it is sad that most research in the US on advanced fission reactor concepts was shut down decades ago mostly because of nuclear myths making it unpopular. We could have been well on the way of moving away from fossil fuels years ago, with wind and solar filling in the rest.

Anyway, an ADR, whether using uranium or thorium has an advantage that the reactor goes subcritical (can’t sustain a chain reaction) when the accelerator is turned off, so it has an inherent safety advantage over conventional reactors. On the other hand, the accelerator is a complex and expensive machine and requires a lot of power to run, so may be more costly to operate, but that is what research is for.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    A number of concepts for lower risk and lower cost reactors have been and still are being looked at. I think it is sad that most research in the US on advanced fission reactor concepts was shut down decades ago mostly because of nuclear myths making it unpopular. We could have been well on the way of moving away from fossil fuels years ago, with wind and solar filling in the rest.

Anyway, an ADR, whether using uranium or thorium has an advantage that the reactor goes subcritical (can’t sustain a chain reaction) when the accelerator is turned off, so it has an inherent safety advantage over conventional reactors. On the other hand, the accelerator is a complex and expensive machine and requires a lot of power to run, so may be more costly to operate, but that is what research is for.
    Ok. I've got another question: is the energy output of the thorium greater than uranium?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    philippeb8, just to be clear, the only way to amplify energy is to add more energy to it. It's like calling a fire hose a "water amplifier".
    Yeah. It's just the way they call these nuclear fissions apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Ok. I've got another question: is the energy output of the thorium greater than uranium?
    About the same. The thorium 232 is transmuted to fissile U233 and the energy from a U233 reaction vs that from natural U235 is very similar. In an ADR, the accelerator used to do some of the transmuting will need a fair amount of electricity to run, of course.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-May-17 at 09:27 AM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8;

[url
    https://www.terrestrialenergy.com/technology/[/url]
    Molten salts can be used as a heat store. A company called SaltX has a secret nanotechnology coating for salt making it feasible to reuses, ie reheat and cool the salts thousands of times. This is particularly interesting for storing energy during day night cycles of solar for example. The hot salt can be used to make steam for a steam turbine generator. Because salt is plentiful and cheap, this idea can be scaled up to serious megawatt-hour storage. It can compete with flow batteries and of course lithium batteries. So interesting, yes.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Thank you very much, all. This is very interesting!