Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trivial or non-trivial technology that amazes you.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's sarcasm. The sign is asking you to be safe using the saw, but then tells you to use the special bone blade if you want to put your hands into the blade.

This is a snide response to someone who actually put their hand into the blade and was horribly hurt.
    I see. The HR department where I used to work would fail to see the humour in that one.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It's sarcasm. The sign
    Wow what a story, and sarcasm hardly covers it.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Wow what a story, and sarcasm hardly covers it.
    It's like finding a drug information insert in your prescription medication that says: "Please don't waste everyone's time by taking an overdose of this drug; try paracetamol/acetaminophen."
    I've just scored the Buffalo Science Museum off my list of potential future employers.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Jun-10 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I see. The HR department where I used to work would fail to see the humour in that one.

Grant Hutchison
    No functional HR unit there. They operate like it's '63. 1863.
    Solfe

This morning, my coffeepot amazes me. ☕
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    This morning, my coffeepot amazes me. ☕
    Why can we design a pot that will consistently brew a perfect cup of coffee, but can't design a coffee pot that can pour correctly?
    Solfe

I just received a print on demand book. It looks amazing. Even better, I saw the electronic copy before printing and it did not look good at all. Readable, but not pretty. How it end up as a perfectly wonderful book is beyond me.
    Solfe

Why can we design a pot that will consistently brew a perfect cup of coffee, but can't design a coffee pot that can pour correctly?
    An untapped opportunity for some ambitious engineer!

The fact that there's pourable coffee cups for zero-G amazes me.

Hyperlinking is amazing. Here is a thread for lamentable technology.
    Solfe

Well I am going for medical technology - and technique I guess. Today we visited a friend who is just back home after several weeks in hospital. Hs wife had called an ambulance because he thought he was having a heart attack but he was actually suffering from an Aortic Hematoma. He ended up having surgery and then spending close to a week or so in ICU. They replaced a segment of the Aorta and a heart valve. Although he is home he is still very sore and short of breath etc. and slowly rebuilding his strength. The ability to treat this sort of event amazes me.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-...-hematoma.html

My mother just had surgery to both her eyes. Went from not being able to see much anymore to "perfect" in minutes. With local anaesthesia and a few happy pills there wasn't even much to it. Gone are the days where we just had to accept that many old people would go blind.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Medical technology pretty much keeps myself and much of my family alive at this point. Its impact can't be underestimated.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Medical technology pretty much keeps myself and much of my family alive at this point. Its impact can't be underestimated.
    Or indeed over estimated, I had to call on amazing medical skills to be alive today. In my case interventions rather than continuous care. So I would forego many clever gadgets to hang on to medical technology.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I'm going a few days without contact lenses in one eye now. Makes me realize just how "blind" I am without medical technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    My mother just had surgery to both her eyes. Went from not being able to see much anymore to "perfect" in minutes. With local anaesthesia and a few happy pills there wasn't even much to it. Gone are the days where we just had to accept that many old people would go blind.
    Cataracts, I assume? I had mine done several years ago. It's great. I've had people ask about the surgery and always tell them it was much less unpleasant than going to the dentist.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm going a few days without contact lenses in one eye now. Makes me realize just how "blind" I am without medical technology.
    In cave man days, I would have been eaten by a saber-tooth sloth because Id never see it approaching.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Cataracts, I assume? I had mine done several years ago. It's great. I've had people ask about the surgery and always tell them it was much less unpleasant than going to the dentist.
    Yes.

Been there, benefited from that. I had mine done in January and February, one at a time, with Lidocaine topical anesthesia only. The replacement lens technology is kind of amazing itself. They filter UV as well as some blue light and come in a nifty syringe that folds the lens a bit like a burrito so it can be inserted through a very small incision. One of the lenses is a toric model that corrects astigmatism in my left eye, while both correct my distance vision to 20/20. I just need OTC reading glasses of various powers for closer work.

An amusing (to me) side note: the toric lens must be rotated to the correct orientation to be effective. The Wife accompanied me to preop and thought it was pretty freaky when the doc drew reference marks on my eye with a purple marker. She's not squeamish, having been through medical assistant training many moons ago but she did find the sight kind of trippy, in a fascinating way.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I've had people ask about the surgery and always tell them it was much less unpleasant than going to the dentist.
    I found the most unpleasant part to be looking into the ophthalmic microscope's supernova-bright light. I became numb to it after a while but until they did...boy, oh, boy was it uncomfortable.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Due to a history of retina problems in my family, I get the superbright light every visit to the eye doctor. It is unpleasant, but doesn't take that long.
    One thing I didn't know about cataract surgery is that over time cells can grow on the surface of the plastic lens, causing problems with glare. When it gets bothersome they'll zap it off with a laser.

Due to a history of retina problems in my family, I get the superbright light every visit to the eye doctor. It is unpleasant, but doesn't take that long.
    One thing I didn't know about cataract surgery is that over time cells can grow on the surface of the plastic lens, causing problems with glare. When it gets bothersome they'll zap it off with a laser.
    We had to do that with my relatively new implants. But as you said its just a quick YAG laser blast. I was in and out in five minutes or less and it eliminated the large lens flares that had developed. And under warranty too!

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    An amusing (to me) side note: the toric lens must be rotated to the correct orientation to be effective. The Wife accompanied me to preop and thought it was pretty freaky when the doc drew reference marks on my eye with a purple marker. She's not squeamish, having been through medical assistant training many moons ago but she did find the sight kind of trippy, in a fascinating way.
    When I first had my lenses done (myopia, not cataracts) I was told that one has "grabbers" to keep it oriented the right way in my eye, and to avoid jostling it for a while as it could get loosened.

I was in a beginner level kickboxing class at the time. Of course in my next lesson I almost immediately got hit in the eye!

My Mom just got a knee replacement.

Her left was done 14 years ago, and she was in the hospital for days and took 6 weeks to recover. Spent her first week in bed.

The right, the surgery took all of 45 minutes, she went home the same day, and she's already using a walker and expected to be driving in 2 weeks.

The progress of modern medicine goes at such a rapid pace!

My Mom just got a knee replacement.

Her left was done 14 years ago, and she was in the hospital for days and took 6 weeks to recover. Spent her first week in bed.

The right, the surgery took all of 45 minutes, she went home the same day, and she's already using a walker and expected to be driving in 2 weeks.

The progress of modern medicine goes at such a rapid pace!
    My wife has been refusing to get hers done for about 15 years now. It's troubling.

Flightware.com. You can track flights in what seems to be real time. Amazing!

Edit - I meant to post a screen cap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flightaware.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	26260
    Solfe

I am amazed at the modern technologies that have already become a part of our daily life. For example, smart switches that can be controlled via a smartphone. About 20 years ago it was something from the field of science fiction, but now please - buy as much as you want. There are affordable switches <link redacted> at affordable prices.
    Last edited by Swift; 2021-Jun-22 at 05:44 PM. Reason: link removed

In our new house, we can control the HVAC, Fridge, Garage Doors, and other stuff from our phones. Or could, if I was willing to let them connect to the WiFi. I'm not. Just don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burton View Post
    About 20 years ago it was something from the field of science fiction, but now please - buy as much as you want.
    That describes most technology these days.

This talk of 'remote control' reminds me of some of the changes being made in the mining industry. Flying staff to the remote parts of Western Australia and providing accommodation for them is one of the big costs in that industry here. So these days remote control of heavy equipment is becoming more common.

Here is link about the "world's first fully autonomous, long distance, heavy-haul rail network." These trains are 2.5 Km long and carry 28,000 tonnes of iron ore". There are also 390 tonne remote control dump trucks operating at these mine sites. I have also put into a link from the company which is a bit of a "puff piece" but also gives an idea of the remoteness of these mines and the size of the trains involved.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...11-p51dd2.html

https://www.riotinto.com/en/news/sto...-biggest-robot

In our new house, we can control the HVAC, Fridge, Garage Doors, and other stuff from our phones. Or could, if I was willing to let them connect to the WiFi. I'm not. Just don't need to.
    Just an aside...

Many folks have "smart" thermostats on their HVACs. Texas just went through a heat wave during which many electricity generating plants were down for maintenance (they're looking into it) and ERCOT asked folks to turn up the thermostats. Those with smart thermostats had it done for them.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board