Thread: SpaceX Starship belly-flop maneuver

SpaceX Starship belly-flop maneuver

Will the Starship use the belly-flop maneuver to slow from orbital speed ahead of a landing? Why wouldn't it burn up without a heat shield? Surface area? Or is it just we haven't seen the heat shield deployed yet? Thanks!

If you look at SN 15 in videos or pictures, you should see a black square patch on the hull. That is a patch of thermal protection tiles there for testing (they are testing attachment methods, for one thing). For an orbital flight test, there will be tiles covering one side of the hull.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The tiling system is interesting. As far as I can tell, the hexagonal tiles are all identical and flat. The curvature of the body is taken up by a flexible insulation blanket beneath them. Far more efficient than the space shuttle.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The tiling system is interesting. As far as I can tell, the hexagonal tiles are all identical and flat. The curvature of the body is taken up by a flexible insulation blanket beneath them. Far more efficient than the space shuttle.
    To be fair, the shuttle had a much larger degree of tile fitting than the Starship.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Let's hope they use better glue.
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes