Thread: Death of Gavin MacLeod at 90

Death of Gavin MacLeod at 90

OK, he was never a big star but I saw him on TV a huge number of times. He played "Captain Stubing" of "The Love Boat" in some 250 episodes. He was also a long term member of cast of "The Mary Tyler Moore" show appearing in over 160 episodes. We are working our way through that show and are currently halfway through the 2nd series. I actually first saw him as a member of "McHales Navy" in the early 1960's. He also appeared in shows like "Hogan's Heroes", "Perry Mason", "Murder She Wrote" etc etc.

So a good career as a 'jobbing actor' in a number of light roles.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    OK, he was never a big star but I saw him on TV a huge number of times. He played "Captain Stubing" of "The Love Boat" in some 250 episodes. He was also a long term member of cast of "The Mary Tyler Moore" show appearing in over 160 episodes. We are working our way through that show and are currently halfway through the 2nd series. I actually first saw him as a member of "McHales Navy" in the early 1960's. He also appeared in shows like "Hogan's Heroes", "Perry Mason", "Murder She Wrote" etc etc.

So a good career as a 'jobbing actor' in a number of light roles.
    Yes, I remember most of those shows/roles. I guess my favorite The Love Boat.

Really stupid trivia: The young actress who played the sick little girl in Airplane later played the Captain's daughter in Love Boat. Her mother in Airplane had played Murray's wife in the MTM show.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

He was on my schedule! I'll have to write about him.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I liked him on Mary Tyler Moore, a show I watched regularly. I never cared for Love Boat, though, just not my style of show. When I saw it, it was because there were only three commercial networks and no internet and there wasn’t much else to do at the time. I liked the earlier Love American Style though. That had a lot of comedy, there could be two or three stories per episode and they even touched on science fiction sometimes.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Negative waves, man, negative waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    He was on my schedule! I'll have to write about him.
    Please don't ever put me on your schedule

My nephew is named Gavin. His mom likes Gavin Rossdale of the band Bush. I would often tease him by saying, "The actor from the Loveboat was named Gavin". And he would reply with a line from the show. That was an underrated show.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Please don't ever put me on your schedule
    Hey, he's the first person on the schedule to die! Given he was 90, it's hard to say the schedule was to blame, just as I refuse to take responsibility when extremely old or ailing people I've written about die. I surely did not kill Olivia de Havilland, you know?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Hey, he's the first person on the schedule to die! Given he was 90, it's hard to say the schedule was to blame, just as I refuse to take responsibility when extremely old or ailing people I've written about die. I surely did not kill Olivia de Havilland, you know?
    But Olivia de Havilland was only 104 years old so it was obviously your fault she met such an early demise Seriously, I guess there would have to be so many people you would like to write about that it must be hard to choose who to cover first. And then other names would jump out to blow out the list even further.

Yeah, I'm well over a year in advance on the schedule. This does include several theme months--I've got two months of Star Trek: The Next Generation people coming up. And of course Chadwick Boseman, to name one, wasn't on the schedule, because I had plenty of time to get around to him, right?

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I liked him on Mary Tyler Moore, a show I watched regularly. I never cared for Love Boat, though, just not my style of show.
    Yes and yes.

I still remember one of my favorites of his bits from MTM. At the beginning of the episode Ted borrows like $10 from Murray. Over the course of the episode Murray keeps asking Ted to pay him back, but Ted says he only has a hundred; can Murray make change? At the end of the episode Murray askes Ted once last time, and Ted again pulls out his $100 and says "can you make change". Murray says "yes", and reaches under his desk for a giant bag of coins. Ted asks "Quarters?" and Murray says "Nickels".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules