Thread: 6.0M Earthquake, Chickaloon AK

6.0M Earthquake, Chickaloon AK

North of Chickaloon, Alaska about 83 miles from the house in Peters Creek. I was (and am) sitting outside with my fire, when I felt a mild and persistent vibration for a few seconds. It then increased markedly for about 5-6 seconds as I heard the garage door rattle.

I went inside to see if The Wife felt it, just as she was coming downstairs to see if I did. She said she didnít feel it but heard the drawer pulls on the dressers rattling. What a way to end the night.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2021-May-31 at 10:54 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I initially misread the thread title as "6.0 Meter Earthquake"; and then just now as "6:00AM Earthquake" and wondered what you were doing sitting out by a fire at that hour!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yeah, shoulda been M6.0
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Yeah a Mag 6 can shake things up for sure. The worst I've experienced was a 4.2 (locally) back in Aug 2011 (5.8 at the epi a few counties over). I was in the process of caulking in a new tub I had installed. My line was all over the place and I couldn't understand why it was so hard to caulk a straight line. The house has a weird rumble sound but I just thought it was an airplane flying low overhead. Spacedudette ran into the bathroom and yelled "We're having an earthquake". She was doing the dishes and the water in the sink was bouncing around. This was the same quake that damaged the Washington Monument.

For an M6 (recently upgraded to M6.1) it felt pretty mild here at the house, given the distance and depth. The 2018 M7.1 was the strongest Iíve ever felt since living up here. Weíve had stronger during that time but they were farther away.

Biggest I've experienced was the 2001 Nisqually earthquake, at 7.0. I was at work, felt shaking, and stood up thinking "Oh, it's an earthquake!"
    Then I noticed all of my co-workers were under their desks. It seemed like a pretty good idea so I joined them.
    We then evacuated the building via the outdoor staircase under four stories of glass. I never did like that evacuation route.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We then evacuated the building via the outdoor staircase under four stories of glass. I never did like that evacuation route.
    Yeah, that doesn't really sound like a great idea. Our procedures for an earthquake is to not evacuate buildings unless there is a danger (a fire, for example), until we are told to evacuate, after the outside has been checked for falling glass, etc.

Incidentally, the biggest earthquake I ever experienced was 9.0 or 9.1. It was quite far away (about 375 km) but wow did it shake.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Yeah a Mag 6 can shake things up for sure. The worst I've experienced was a 4.2 (locally) back in Aug 2011 (5.8 at the epi a few counties over). I was in the process of caulking in a new tub I had installed. My line was all over the place and I couldn't understand why it was so hard to caulk a straight line.
    A colleague of mine was once driving a hire car across the desert somewhere in the USA. A long straight road in an empty landscape. And the car steering suddenly started misbehaving--he seemed to be making continuous adjustments to keep the car on-line. He quickly found somewhere he could pull off the road, and stopped. Got out, walked round, kicked the tyres. Nothing was evident that might have caused the problem. And there was no problem when he started driving again.
    So you've guessed the end of the story. He gets to his destination and meets up with his host, who says, "Did you feel that earthquake this afternoon? It certainly rattled things around here."

Grant Hutchison

Just incidentally, in Japan they do publish the magnitudes, but mostly what we talk about is what is called the intensity scale. So basically there are local detectors throughout the country (at least one in every municipality), and when an earthquake happens we see a map that shows the intensity in different places. So people never really talk about the magnitude. We always say, "Oh, this feels like a 3" or "that was just a 2."
    As above, so below

I'm reminded of when I was working at the San Onofre Nuclear station when Southern California experienced a big earthquake (I forget which one, there were so many). A friend asked in an alarmed and concerned tone whether I was frightened to be at the plant during an earthquake. Nah, I said, I was inside the strongest building in the area at the time (the containment building).

Since this is turning into the "my experience with earthquakes" thread...

My part of Ohio gets occasional small earthquakes; generally 4 or lower magnitude, rare 5s. The last one I felt was at our old house, which is much closer to the usual epicenters. It was a Saturday morning and I felt what I'd describe as a 'thump'. I thought a tree had come down and hit the roof. I went outside and walked the perimeter of the house and yard looking for something that fell down. Later that morning I heard we had an earthquake.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Biggest I've experienced was the 2001 Nisqually earthquake, at 7.0. I was at work, felt shaking, and stood up thinking "Oh, it's an earthquake!"
    Then I noticed all of my co-workers were under their desks. It seemed like a pretty good idea so I joined them.
    I was at The Evergreen State College for that one, and it proved that the college really did not know what they were doing. I hope they've figured it out by now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"