Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-Designing The Human

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    If we make child birth painless, we need some other way to demotivate procreation so we don't get (more) overpopulated than we already are.

Making s*x not so alluring would help a lot..
    It turns out that what helps is not wanting to raise a lot of children. When possible, people seem to limit their families to two or three children; the work of having children goes enough beyond the pain of childbirth that most of the people who limit their families don't even mention it in their list of considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Would you consider the option of laying an egg externally like other animals so the foetus can grow outside of the parent's body?
    At least that could theoretically make both parents equally involved in the process.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I don't want more than two children and my part of the pain of childbirth is finding a parking spot at the hospital.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    There are so many things. The inability to regenerate teeth and limbs is a big mistake AFAIC.
    There might be a way.

But what if scars weren’t as helpful as we all think? What if scars are actually preventing an even more incredible form of healing? What if humans could actually regenerate body parts?
    https://bgr.com/science/human-regene...parts-5929494/
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It turns out that what helps is not wanting to raise a lot of children. When possible, people seem to limit their families to two or three children; the work of having children goes enough beyond the pain of childbirth that most of the people who limit their families don't even mention it in their list of considerations.
    Some, sure, but then there are those who just pop out one after another, usually those collecting welfare.

And making the "act" fun leads to "accidental" people being made.

At least that could theoretically make both parents equally involved in the process.
    "It's your turn to sit on the egg, dear."

And for those who don't want kids, free omelettes every month!

[...] usually those collecting welfare.

Let's keep political topics out of this thread please.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

There's so much, but the panic response seems entirely unhelpful. "Let's make humans less effective and coherent in an emergency situation!" No, thanks.

Immune response disorders like allergies and Rheumatoid Arthritis are also on my "no" list. That's just sloppy work.

I'd eliminate a whole host of flaws before I start in on improvements to the design. Adding wings and wheels and whatnot seems trivial by comparison. But aging is the big one. I want death to be a possibility not an inevitability.

This would of course require a lower birth rate, which goes back to the previous posts about reproduction. In fact, I think women kind of got screwed on the whole plumbing deal; clearly those parts were designed without consulting any female engineers. Men OTOH get to use a simple point-and-shoot principle for almost all functions.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Some, sure, but then there are those who just pop out one after another . . . .
    Statistically, when people can prevent conception, most of them do. That some people--for whatever reason--choose to have multiple children doesn't disprove the basic point that being able to turn off ovulation unless it's wanted is a more sensible option. As soon as birth control is accessible and reliable, birth rates fall.

My poor knees, part of the reason I collect disability, are reminding me of how much the human knee could use a redesign. And of course there's my brain, the other reason, which maybe doesn't need the wild mood swings?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Some, sure, but then there are those who just pop out one after another,
    I have never seen stats that support "dysgenic" hypotheses, only assertions and anecdotes.

All manner of folks of all social classes and intellectual levels seem to have varying numbers of biological children, from zero to a lot. But large rich families don't get socially penalized for it, only large poor ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    There are so many things. The inability to regenerate teeth and limbs is a big mistake AFAIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Introducing the eyesight of pigeons, hearing regeneration of birds, retina without blood vessals, teeth regeneration, teeth strength of beavers, etc.

I want to raise the priority of my previous suggestion to improve the strength of the spine/back.

And now I need something against the pain. Icecream is an option.

Maybe a pain intensity control. After alerting you that something is wrong, does it need to continue to be so annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Maybe a pain intensity control. After alerting you that something is wrong, does it need to continue to be so annoying?
    Agreed. And perhaps a dimmer switch for strong fear and anger responses. Conscious control over most hormonal reactions, in fact.

For a much more limited revision, how about a somewhat saner design for the urogenitary tract? As a male in his sixties, I'm in personal possession of a lot of evidence that the relationship between the prostate and urethra was designed by an idiot.

On a somewhat larger revision? Better repair mechanisms for nerves and joints.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Or maybe improved attention while reading. See post #7.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    For a much more limited revision, how about a somewhat saner design for the urogenitary tract? As a male in his sixties, I'm in personal possession of a lot of evidence that the relationship between the prostate and urethra was designed by an idiot.

On a somewhat larger revision? Better repair mechanisms for nerves and joints.
    Better repair mechanisms for organs so we don't need organ transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Who the heck combined the playground with the sewer, anyway?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.